The Big Cycling Debate

Ron

Re: The Big Cycling Debate

Post by Ron »

beardy wrote:The point is that at such a meeting people feel obliged to wear clothes that are very well suited to travelling in a car but not to travelling by bike.

No they don't, they want to wear clothes that are well suited to sitting at a meeting. I think you are being over sensitive on this one. Have you never noticed that clothes suitable for travelling in a car are also suitable for travelling by ferry, plane, bus, tram, on foot and bicycle?
beardy

Post by beardy »

You could be right, I am just not fond of office clothes.

At university, I could happily sit through lectures in the stuff that I wore to ride in on on my motorcycle.
When I later worked in an office, I had to go to lengths to hide the fact that I was a motorcyclist.
It was something socially unacceptable.

If you attend a Sustrans meeting, a quick look around a room like that will give a very different picture, with lots of people who's attire shows they are quite blatantly cyclists.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Changing in the toilets.........that'll explain why the shadow minister got her dress on back to front [emoji3][emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I must be cut from a different cloth because I wear clothing appropriate to the activity I am doing. I ride to work in clothing that is comfortable on a bike. BTW I don't actually wear lycra because to me there are very comfortable clothing that functions on the bike without screaming cyclist like a tight, colourful lycra team kit. Then at my destination I change into clothes appropriate for the next activity such as work clothes, which also includes PPE. If I am unable to change then I have to cycle in what I am comfortable cycling in and works for the activity at the destination.

I think with those in the meeting they have either changed or are wearing the sort of clothes that are the best compromise for cycling and sitting in a formal meeting. And even if they are cyclists and cycle commuters there is no reason that they had to commute that day. What if the representatives there lived and worked in another part of the UK and travelled down to attend. Are you saying they should wear lycra just because they are there representing their view and cyclists??

I think it is you who are being a bit sensitive about the clobber of those at the meeting as shown in that short video and it was an unfair or irrelvent comment about clothing. Just my opinion and we can't all agree all of the time. BTW comments about attire is detracting from the topic of the thread, a side issue of irrelevance compared to people's views on cycling attitudes and the major party's attitudes/policies on cycling as a valid and necesary mode of transport in the UK.
beardy

Post by beardy »

BTW comments about attire is detracting from the topic of the thread, a side issue of irrelevance compared to people's views on cycling attitudes and the major party's attitudes/policies on cycling as a valid and necesary mode of transport in the UK.

As you say we can not all agree but I dont think it is irrelevant to peoples' views on cycling attitudes.

There is an underlying perception of being second class citizens (remember Andrew Mitchell)or just inappropriate and consider the stir that Yanis Varoufakis creates when he turns up dressed to ride a motorcycle at official functions.
mjr

Post by mjr »

beardy wrote:As you say we can not all agree but I dont think it is irrelevant to peoples' views on cycling attitudes.

Maybe not quite irrelevant but it only shows up on some surveys - dare I say, from places where fewer people cycle and those that do are predominantly spandexed? - and it's not really something we're looking to change by legislation, funding or other things under MPs' control, is it? Access to bikes, busy roads and lack of knowledge (dealing with the weather, routes, parking) were reported as the biggest problems for cycling near me.
Tangled Metal wrote:Does anyone have a link to post showing the european government spend on cycling infrastructure per head? I've seen figures of less than 35 down to £1 per head for the UK and as high as £10 to 20 oer head in Netherlands with Denmark being just behind that. I know a Danish citizen over here who cycles everywhere here. That was how she lived in Denmark it is the way of doing those short journeys. She has just got on with it here but has said the attitude is totally different from the bikes to the way drivers behave. Personally I could not even understand how different it is if I had not cycled in the Netherlands decades ago and even back then there was a huge difference between UK and Netherlands. The way I cycled with hired dutch bikes 3 miles to the nearby town by a direct cycleway separate from traffic. I had made the same journey by bus the other day and while the cycleway was on straight route between village and town the road was the other three sides of a rectangle. Let me explain, the cyclists had the quickest, easiest and most direct way to travel and the motor vehicle had to go the long way around. How polar opposite our countries were 20 plus years ago?!!

And you think, that's how good it was not very long after they started... we could get from here to "the Netherlands decades ago" very quickly indeed if we elect some politicians willing to learn from them, instead of fools who keep telling the public the same old lies that we must choke our towns with cars, let them park and crash all over the place and not try to make public transport as pervasive as London because London is communism or capitalism gone mad or whatever their current boo-boy is.

There are a few places in England like that, where cars still have to take the longer way round - in King's Lynn, even without picking obvious special cases, it's easy for a 1.5mile bike commute to be nearly three times that by car. I think this happens mostly in historic walled towns/cities maybe with rivers and railways, where cars are constrained to a few gates and bridges, but people walking or cycling can use more frequent smaller bridges or gaps. Some of them are pretty nice, but not even all of those places embrace walking and cycling, while government continues with follies like building more and wider roads to make ever bigger jams at their old gates, as in King's Lynn, with some even arguing that the historic walls, buildings and landscapes should be removed. Norwich fascinates me: its walls have mostly gone, the rivers have loads of bridges and it's rare for cycling to save much distance on typical journeys and not unusual to travel further, yet loads of people still ride bikes. Mix of parking charges and congestion, perhaps?

Anyway, I agree in general. We've a long way to go, even if we could get there quickly.

And finally, I spent a few minutes looking and didn't find the government spends on cycling infrastructure by European country. Can you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:BTW,the fact that the video/film(?) lasted 4 minutes odd says a lot too :?

Yeah, what's with that? The debate went on for some time, there were lots of media and few ordinary members in the room. Will the full video be uploaded at some point? Or at least a longer one?

There is no longer version of the video
It was made with only one film crew
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Did they only turn up for a few minutes? In future it may be a good idea to record or even simulcast the whole of the speeches. It still only requires a single crew. My local council does this with fairly obscure committee meetings so I am sure that it is not too resource intensive
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Philip Benstead wrote:There is no longer version of the video

It only needs one crew to record what was said and by who.
For what was recorded it doesn't look like it was worth the crew even being there,as I wrote in my first post,it's just a load of flannel and little substanse :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

That's a shame. I would have liked to see it and I think others would too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Who presumably shot more footage and edited it down into a final package approved by CTC. Am I right in thinking that you made the final cut Philip (2:19-2:20)?

At some stage the Guildford based production company who made this for CTC were given a design brief, which appears to me to have been to deliver a short video to promote CTC. It certainly wasn't to provide a comprehensive record of the debate.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

gaz wrote:Who presumably shot more footage and edited it down...

..to leave only the most exciting bits?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

How do we stop talking and start doing?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

bovlomov wrote:..to leave only the most exciting bits?

No, to make sure it delivered the message that CTC wanted delivered, which I believe to be this:
Fantastic that the National Cycling Charity has been able to get the three big political parties in the room to actually talk about cycling.

So that's a huge win for CTC, we're really pleased about that.

That message might be lost in an hour plus of coverage but it's loud and clear in under five minutes worth.

IMO the purpose of the video is advertising, not information.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:How do we stop talking and start doing?

Exactly!
Frustration doesn't begin to describe my feelings with the bl@@dy lot of them :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden