Clarkeson ! again !

AlanD

Clarkeson ! again !

Post by AlanD »

This weeks Top gear. Clarkeson spoke of running into cyclists. I'm complaining to the BBC.
Labrat

Re: Clarkeson ! again !

Post by Labrat »

Oh, <moderated> - it was obviously humour!

Jesus, this <moderated> country is bring destroyed by people who jump up and down after being 'offended' - stop, calm down, look what happened in France a few weeks ago, freedom of speech means nobody has a right not to be offended, that includes cyclists - it's obvious and clear to anyone that he wasn't seriously inciting violence againt cyclists.

get a sense of proportion, how about we all stop being precious and acting like six year olds who can't take a joke?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

He's a cheeky scamp alright but why waste your time complaining? You think his comments matter? Any gorilla who listens and acts negatively to a cyclist is probably the sort to think that trick up for themselves. You've complained you've promoted that muppet. Ignore it doesn't matter and your views won't change a thing.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, The fact that JC is committed to his role as Permanent Village Idiot is of course well known, but there is a more serious side to the point he was making. The question concerning "Least Risk Option" with driverless cars has be raised by people with a more intelligent approach to deciding the software programming that would be appropriate when faced with a two target emergency.
Unlike driverless trains, a car with such a control facility would not be in a sealed off route, so interaction has to be considered! Wobbling around Olympic Park at 5 mph is one thing, 70 mph + on a motorway grade road is quite another! I do not say "Motorway", where pedestrians & cyclists should not be, but refer to the roads we all use where speed is already an issue.
JC offers no worthwhile opinion, others may be trusted to engage brain before such vehicles are permitted on our roads. TTFN MM
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm putting my neck on the line, but I think JC is brilliant. I've read a couple of his books, one while doing the Pembrokeshire CP. He's genuinely funny, witty and VERY switched on. He's the result of clever 'personality marketing'. I very much doubt the man has a bad bone in his body...b
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I enjoy TG as long as they're not doing the driving fast cars sideways stuff, which is kinda meh. But assuming you don't like it, have you never heard the phrase, "there's no such thing as bad publicity"? Ignore and ride on.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hufty

Post by hufty »

Top Gear is just embarrassing.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
hondated

Post by hondated »

hufty wrote:Top Gear is just embarrassing.

+ 1/ I much prefer 5th Gear or any car shows on Discovery
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That was appalling.

Actually the cyclist comment was throwaway*, but the main feature was just daft.

I thoroughly agree with the hamster, not funny

* and demonstrates a lack of understanding of automated driving and safe driving in general...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Haven't seen it but I'm guessing from the comments that this is the 'moral dilemma' question that I've seen doing the rounds?
It did make me laugh because obviously human drivers make perfectly good moral judgements - although to outside observers it usually looks like a combination of panic and throwing a dice.
(Assuming that self driving cars even get themselves into the sorts of predicaments humans manage on a daily basis that usually resolve favourably in no small part to luck).
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

On the one hand it is a comedy car show.

On the other he'd not be allowed to joke about physically abusing a person more vulnerable than himself i.e. a woman or child, on air. So why is it that he's allowed to get away with joking about physically abusing a person more vulnerable than himself just because they are on a bike?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It was a classic trolley problem, except that you're driving the trolley.

The difference being that the self driving car wouldn't get itself into such a situation, it would have spotted the impending danger and modified it's behaviour in advance of the dilemma presenting itself.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:It was a classic trolley problem, except that you're driving the trolley.

Yep that's what I thought.

Of course if we'd had self driving cars in the 1930's then the Nazi's would have taken over the world since Kirk wouldn't have needed to save Edith Keeler. Instead the car wouldn't have run over her delaying the U.S's entry into WW2 allowing the Nazi's time to build atomic weapons and rise to world domination.

So it's not all good.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Ok, I've had a couple of days to calm down and ponder.
It was interesting to hear on local news that a Police officer of Romany Gypsy background had to take action regarding all the derogatory comments. so....
Have you heard the one about the blind/one legged Irish/Jewish/Asian <insert chosen religion here> man/woman/Transvestite?
Well this would not be acceptable and we have laws to prevent this discrimination.
So why should it be acceptable to make derogatory remarks about another minority group about their lifestyle?
Laughing at something is a quick way to make the alternative seen acceptable.
Si

Post by Si »

Labrat wrote:Oh, <moderated> - it was obviously humour!

Jesus, this <moderated> country is bring destroyed by people who jump up and down after being 'offended' - stop, calm down, look what happened in France a few weeks ago, freedom of speech means nobody has a right not to be offended, that includes cyclists - it's obvious and clear to anyone that he wasn't seriously inciting violence againt cyclists.

get a sense of proportion, how about we all stop being precious and acting like six year olds who can't take a joke?

Yes, sense of proportion, like being able to respond to another's views without giving the impression that you've gone bright puce and have steam coming out of your ears! :lol: Please "stop jumping up and down and being offended" by the OP, just discuss the issue in a friendly manner if you've an interest in it.

I'm not having a pop, just pointing out that if asking others to stay calm it's best done from your own perspective of serenity, and much less likely to turn a discussion into a conflict.