Leaves in Cycle Lanes

reohn2

Re: Leaves in Cycle Lanes

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:Perhaps my wording wasn't good. The blower is at the back of the tractor near the base of the flailing arm and blows débris to the side of the road/path. All flailing heads should have flaps of "strong conveyor belt" type material attached to the back of them. However often these get torn off in use and not replaced, although they I believe they should be there to comply with safety regs. Perhaps the one you saw had a larger than usual flap.

I've seen quite few hedge cutting tractors blowers on,but for some obscure reason never seen one actually blowing :?
If there's a law that says cutting/flailing heads should have appropriate flaps/guards to stop cuttings strewing the roads with sharp debris why aren't they in place,and why isn't the law enforced*

*I know the answer to this one,there aren't any police as the country's decided we don't need them :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

reohn2 I have catastrophic news! My blower died on me! Because I live next door to a neighbour who is his 70s and and can't abide by today's throw away society I was keen to impress. Rather than pay silly money to get it fixed or shell out on a new blower I decided to try myself. I haven't got much skill when it comes to mechanics but surprise surprise I fixed it!

Sorry. Another blower is back on the streets. But I'll be composting [emoji6]...hc
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You got to be joking......leaves on cycle lanes.......If I did'nt see leaves on the roads I would move out.

Leaves and tree droppings are welcome by me because all those fuddu duddy two abrest dayglo wearing twerps are back out of my way, whilst I now have the cycle paths to myself, as I did before they spent over two hundred grand on tarmacking and gritting a bridle way which had 6 - 9 " of mud (Ist gear)

Since they gritted it no roadies and since the autumn no other bikes yipee :D :D :D
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Si

Post by Si »

continentals don't always get it right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qo4hwnJt6Y

(apologies for the music to those who don't like that sort of thing)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:continentals don't always get it right...

I didn't watch the video through,what did surprise me was that the person filming could quite easily have spread a little salt on that corner to stop people hurting themselves :?

BTW IME the continentals generally get it a lot righter than wot we do where cycling is concerned.
W H Auden
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

No helmets on! How come they're not all dead? Whoops, wrong forum :wink:
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

reohn2 wrote:

I didn't watch the video through,what did surprise me was that the person filming could quite easily have spread a little salt on that corner to stop people hurting themselves :?

BTW IME the continentals generally get it a lot righter than wot we do where cycling is concerned.

Judging by the music, I wonder if the oiginator didn't pour water on the bend. :evil:

I could only watch a minute or so, and noticed a child on with their mother falling near the beginning. If it was staged, there will have certainly been some anger.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Anytime something goes wrong - and gets filmed - the conduct of the camera man can be called into question....

What struck me most about this was the complete absence of anything that I would describe as cycle specific clothing (hurrah!) and the impression that everyone was able to pick themselves up and carry on (double hurrah!)

Its cycling - but, perhaps, not as we know it...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveP wrote:Anytime something goes wrong - and gets filmed - the conduct of the camera man can be called into question....

Well TBH if it were one or two people that were filmed it wouldn't have been so bad but to sit and continue to film one after another 20or30? without lifting a finger to help stop it I find quite off putting to say the least.
And so yes in this case I do blame the camera operator for letting it carry on for nothing but their own amusement :evil:

What struck me most about this was the complete absence of anything that I would describe as cycle specific clothing (hurrah!) and the impression that everyone was able to pick themselves up and carry on (double hurrah!)...

But did they all get up and carry on uninjured?
I'm not so sure :?

FWIW some years ago I fell off in very similar circumstances breaking my wrist and had to ride the twenty miles home,not pleasant by any means,less so for my customer at the time who's house extension was delayed as a result.
Three years ago I fell whilst walking to the shops on an icy pavement,breaking two ribs in the fall again not a pleasant experience.
About twenty five years ago I had to pick an old chap up who went down on an icy pavement,onto his head with a sickening thud.
I called around his house a few of days later to see how he was doing,to be told by his distraught wife that he'd died as a result of his injuries.

It ain't funny,it's even less funny to do nothing about it whilst carrying on filming,then showing it off to the world like the clever idiot the camera man/woman is! :evil:
W H Auden