Amber side markers on long vehicles

SA_SA_SA

Amber side markers on long vehicles

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I have noticed an increase in the number of vehicles with amber side markers along their, er, sides (rather than the usual combined white to front side/red to rear side combined side markers:

as well as being slightly initially alarming when a bus stops/passes slowly in the lane beside you (turn indicators are amber, so one has to notice the lack of flashing to lose one's feeling of alarm), I would rather amber remain mainly a cycle colour.

Can this fashion be stopped?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
[XAP]Bob

Re: Amber side markers on long vehicles

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Doubt it - it's a reasonable colour, and doesn't have the oscillating that is inherent to pedals ('cos the law has never heard of a freewheel)

Also makes a good place to have repeaters.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I have noticed an increase in the number of vehicles with amber side markers along their, er, sides (rather than the usual combined white to front side/red to rear side combined side markers:

as well as being slightly initially alarming when a bus stops/passes slowly in the lane beside you (turn indicators are amber, so one has to notice the lack of flashing to lose one's feeling of alarm), I would rather amber remain mainly a cycle colour.

Can this fashion be stopped?

I don't think it's fashion. AFAIK, it's governed by the regulations for marking large vehicles. I've no exam to pass on this so I'm not going to research the answer.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

They're a legal requirement on long vehicles and large trailers. The reason they're there is that when you approach the side of a large vehicle in pitch black darkness, there is often nothing to see.

I have anecdotal wisdom of how important they could be to safety, having encountered a dark coloured lorry without them* on very dark and rainy motorway slip road. All I could see to the front, rear, and side was complete darkness. The additional spray and rumble of wheels were the only clues to its presence.

(*Judging by the state of the trailer, it probably wasn't the only defect.)
SA_SA_SA

Re: Amber side markers: I prefer red-white combo style

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I am not objecting to side marker lamps, I am objecting to the fact that some are now plain amber rather than a combination of white on one side and red on the other.

i.e I prefer these
http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/lamp-marker-end-outline-red-and-white-p-500293.html
to these
http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/hella-led-side-marker-lamp-12v-p-500694.html

Amber initially seems a possible indicator until one notices it isn't flashing: I find that initial moment unpleasant :( So I would prefer the amber variant to be discouraged and hopefully phased.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Thats for reflectors:
however here's the page for side marker lamps
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/9/made
and the bad news is.....new trailers (after October 1990) must use amber only side markers it seems (except near ends).
How come no one asked cyclists if they would like to have a brief moment of panic every time a long vehicle slowly passes....
Bahhhhhhhh :(
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

SA_SA_SA wrote:

Thats for reflectors:
however here's the page for side marker lamps
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/9/made
and the bad news is.....new trailers (after October 1990) must use amber only side markers it seems (except near ends).
How come no one asked cyclists if they would like to have a brief moment of panic every time a long vehicle slowly passes....
Bahhhhhhhh :(

Because no cyclist would be on the road would they?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.