Tips for the 'un-normal' cyclist!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bill Reynolds

Re: Tips for the 'un-normal' cyclist!

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello U.N. Cyclists, The last tip was about contact with the saddle...the next tip is about contact with the road! Twice on the recent wet Thursday I noted two cyclists stuck by the roadside fixing punctures. It does not have to be like that you know. The solution is fitting puncture proof covers. On my Dahon I have Raleigh 'Dutch Perfect' no puncture tyres. No punctures for years now. No doubt some of you U.N. cyclists have problems with your hands?? If you remove the 'puncture possibility' you can enjoy cycling more. If your a bit fat to boot you can also fit double butted spokes to take the extra weight....a small tip, fit a extra rim tape on the rims so there is less chance of a spoke head making a hole in your inner tube! Make sure you own a track pump as well to pump up that tyre. If you are a ex Boy Scout like me you should be prepared and carry a pump and repair kit...something else to think about....
mjr

Post by mjr »

I don't always want to grub around with wet tyres fixing punctures on the way to a business appointment, so I carry a screwdriver or pliers to fish out the cause of the puncture and http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... lant-spray to seal and reinflate (there was a cheaper similar product in a recent Aldi sale but I've not tried that, whereas I've tried the Zefal). I've still got the option to patch or change the tube if I want to, but a puncture need not mean more than a five minute stop if time is tight or the weather's poor.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Thanks for that 'MJR' however these tips are for people who might have problems doing repairs that normal cyclists can do with ease (like joint problems in hand's) .... hence fitting puncture resistance covers that, (with luck) remove your 'common or garden average' puncture from spoiling your day tour...
mjr

Post by mjr »

You can still puncture through resistant tyres. The canister is still worthwhile and usable by anyone who can attach a pump.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Here's my two tips for the week.

I suffer from Reynard's Syndrome. My fingers will go white, and then painful, with the slightest encouragement. Even now, at 14 degrees, I'm wear a pair of tight fitting gloves, that were once cotton "fleece" knit. If I didn't, and got caught in a shower with the wind blowing, the wind chill would tip me over into that pain zone.

So, using the old adage that "layers" are good, I've got a stock of gloves that comprises silk inners; cotton inners; my regular cotton knit ( as above), filled, nylon ski gloves, waxed cotton overmitts, goretex ex-German army mitts with thumbs. Depending on the weather I decide which to take, balancing the need for dexterity with the severity of the cold/wet/wind. It's usually 2 layers, so that I can vary the effectiveness. In summer it may only be one layer that I wear, or not. I've triked, the winter before last, at -7C and been fine, using the ex-army mitts and silk inners.

Mind you, if it's cold, wet and windy I find that even undoing the straps of my panniers can tip me over into the "white finger" zone, and once in that zone there's no getting out until I get back to a warm environment. So, the inner gloves allow me enough time to do that, before I get my outers back on again.

This leads me to my second tip (which is related). I always carry a pair of cotton inners to do repairs, summer or winter. If I have to replace a dropped chain, or (heaven forbid, fix a puncture, they keep my hands clean. But, in colder conditions they offer me the chance of doing so without the Syndrome kicking in. They weigh next to nothing, pack into my tool roll and I've been grateful of them a couple of times a year.
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Slight pause here...thanks to Geoff and MJR for the input however these tips are 'cover-all's' to tell possible disabled future?? cyclists how to get 'out there' with the minimum palaver. I could go off in a tangent and tell you of my other various medical problems but I want to keep things straight forward and not be side-tracked!....
mjr

Post by mjr »

I realise that and so I have not described the medical problems of myself or others here but I must say that I am disappointed by the "go away" attitude to other authors. Should this topic have been titled "tips for Bill"?
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello Fellow U.N. cyclists, The next tip is where you cycle in a safe manner. Cycling along is very nice as I myself could be described as a 'Easy-Rider' however this basically means country lane riding. If you have to ride in more built up areas you tend to get near and very near misses by cars and the like! Recently I have taken to riding on the footpaths where possible. I gather this against the law however as cyclists are rather prone to getting hit by cars and cycle tracks are not common, needs must... If you pedal at a easy rate where people are out and about you wont have problems with wondering bodies! I suppose if I was stopped by a policeman I could point to what is printed on the back of my high viz. tabard and suggest that the pavement was the best place for cyclists such as I.....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Geoff.D wrote:I'm following your tips about saddles with interest, Bill. Like you, I have arthritis in different joints, including one of my hips. For many years I didn't know, I just thought it was "ageing". With hindsight it started over 12 years ago.I swapped to recumbent riding (for the fun, not the pain relief) and so didn't need to find a saddle solution. But, I've now bought a Circe Morpheus tandem so that my partner can ride with me. I'm now back on an upright (for some of the time) and have to find the best saddle arrangement. Hence my interest.

Now, here's a tip of my own. I hope you don't mind me adding it to your thread.

The lack of mobility in my right hip doesn't allow me to lift my leg over the main frame tube of my recumbent, nor the step through frame of the tandem. Both are only about 50 cm off the ground. So, I've made a strap out of soft fabric, which can be closed into a loop with velcro. I wrap it round my leg, just above my knee. I can then lift the knee by hand, using the strap. Once I'm aboard, I can rip it open and put it in my pocket (or leave it on if I want to make a fashion statement !!). I reverse the process to dismount.

Can you mount "side saddle"?

Especially on recumbents...

Sit on saddle from one side, then once seated you can swing your legs over, either assisting or not as you require.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bill Reynolds wrote:Hello, Now that all the talk has died down on my previous topic... I was gathering moss down the shed recently and thought of all the other many disabled people of one sort or another out there who did not know about how to make cycling more attractive via doing various things! So here is a progressive list of things and tip's to help you to enjoy cycling more....(I know a few things as I am a life-long cyclist... cycling before 'cycling' became a fashion statement) No doubt there will be the usual people popping up rubbishing what I say but please ignore them and just try out what I suggest! TIP No. ONE...First of all invest in a high viz tabard with (if you like) the words "DISABLED CYCLIST" printed in black on the back. The first joy of this tip is that not only will you be more visible to motorists and warm on cold day's but you will be on firm ground if you get knocked off your cycle and the lump in the car claims he/she/it did not see you...the insurance claim is helped more with a tabard on!....more soon!

I have never felt the need to "advertise disability"

We have a highly adapted recumbent trike with electric assist, stand up aids, stick mounts and other accessories.

My only feature identifying disability is a plastic "Disabled" badge on the back of the seat

We use this when cycling in pedestrian areas such as the local ferry terminal or shopping areas where we would normally walk, but it is impracticable.

The local Police are aware and as we cycle in a responsible maner have no issues
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Cunobelin wrote:Can you mount "side saddle"?
Especially on recumbents...
Sit on saddle from one side, then once seated you can swing your legs over, either assisting or not as you require.

Valid questions, Cunobelin. And I have actually considered them, myself. There's a different answer for each of my three steeds -
1. For the recumbent trike, there's actually no problem. I "mount" it from the front by walking backwards, stepping over the (very low) transverse axle, one leg at a time, and then sitting down. I don't have to lift my leg through the immobility of the hip.
2. For the recumbent bike, I've tried your idea and I have two problems. It has over-seat-steering, with a vertical, fixed riser from steering head, which is only 17 cm in front of the leading edge of the seat. That's quite a short gap for my size 9's to get through, and it's also complicated by the idler pulley being in that space too. To get my leg up and through would require me to pull it much more into my chest than I can manage. Even when I force it (with the strap I described above, or when I do my morning exercises lying on my back) I can't get it beyond 90 degrees to my body. So it just won't fit through that space.
And that doesn't take into account the effect of such upper body movement on the balancing of a recumbent with just one set of toes on the ground. I've had one or two "graceful" falls over the "top side" when stationery at junctions, when I've just overbalanced and with my right foot still clipped in. I call them my "red face" moments, a bit akin to my "senior" moments !!
3. For the Morpheus tandem, I think it would work if the saddle were low enough. I haven't thought to try it. However, if the saddle were low enough, it would then be too low for optimum peddling, I think.

But, you've made me think. Even as I'm typing this (and being quite happy with the solution that I'm using) I'm struck by another approach. I mount from the left. But, if I were to mount from the right, I'd be standing on the leg that likes to be straight and bending the leg that can bend !! It would mean breaking a lifetime's habit, but the theory sounds good. I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the challenge, C
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello Cunobelin, Why the strange non-de plume?? This theme is aimed at normal disabled people which means they have jobs (if at all) that proberly... 'don't pay'....more or less! Recumbents 'cost'...solo cycles come cheap! Also a solo cycle can be lugged about by most people, your type of cycle looks unwieldy and heavy and most likely unwelcome on a crowded train. Most of all the joys of riding include (to me) far vista's towards the Malvern Hills! (most uplifting!) Stuck 'down there' means looking at hedge bottoms. Last but least...its no joy being like this, if you have 'got it' then use it to your advantage...like riding on the pavement with a high viz. tabard with what is wrong with you on the back...get real!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bill Reynolds wrote:Hello Fellow U.N. cyclists, The next tip is where you cycle in a safe manner. Cycling along is very nice as I myself could be described as a 'Easy-Rider' however this basically means country lane riding. If you have to ride in more built up areas you tend to get near and very near misses by cars and the like! Recently I have taken to riding on the footpaths where possible. I gather this against the law however as cyclists are rather prone to getting hit by cars and cycle tracks are not common, needs must... If you pedal at a easy rate where people are out and about you wont have problems with wondering bodies! I suppose if I was stopped by a policeman I could point to what is printed on the back of my high viz. tabard and suggest that the pavement was the best place for cyclists such as I.....

Riding on the footpath may feel safer, but very often, riding on the road is safer. I'm sure that there are some circumstances where riding on the pavement at walking pace is safer, but the pavement has many junctions as a results of driveways and gates and things. And it may be harder to see what is coming due to hedges, cars parked up, etc. It may make it less likely to be hit by an overtaking car, but increases the likelihood of being hit by a car pulling out of a drive or turning at a junction.

Lastly, and most importantly, everything else has priority over a cyclist on the pavement. A cyclist in the road, has priority over motor vehicles at side roads, drive ways, etc.

Approximately 2/3rds of crashes between a motor vehicle and cyclist occur at junctions. I prefer, therefore to reduce the likelihood of crashes at junctions, than in between. I do this by taking the lane; riding out in the middle of my travel lane so that I am positioned where others look for road users.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I'm a normal person, who happens to have some particular difficulties that affect my cycling. They're not huge difficulties and not especially apparent when out and about. I'm not worried about discussing them in a thread that is specifically about "tips" for people like me. I've presented my tips, and am happy to have them questioned and their merits debated.

But, I'm disappointed that some personal disparagement has crept into the replies and the knocking of another's choice of steed. Open discussion about finding solutions isn't furthered by such. Nor is the encouragement of others who might have something to add.

So, as they say in The Lions' Den...."I'm out"
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Bill Reynolds wrote:Hello Cunobelin, Why the strange non-de plume?? This theme is aimed at normal disabled people which means they have jobs (if at all) that proberly... 'don't pay'....more or less! Recumbents 'cost'...solo cycles come cheap! Also a solo cycle can be lugged about by most people, your type of cycle looks unwieldy and heavy and most likely unwelcome on a crowded train. Most of all the joys of riding include (to me) far vista's towards the Malvern Hills! (most uplifting!) Stuck 'down there' means looking at hedge bottoms. Last but least...its no joy being like this, if you have 'got it' then use it to your advantage...like riding on the pavement with a high viz. tabard with what is wrong with you on the back...get real!

Whilst I could claim lineage to ancient British Royalty or some other fancy reason, my name is much more simply derived.

For security reasons I wanted an "identity" to use across cycling websites that would allow some sort of anonymity

I was playing a computer game and Cunobelin was the default Celtic Character... so I adopted it

Secondly recumbents may "cost", but they are ideal for many people. My wife has knee problems and stopping on an upright is not safe as her knee may give way.

The Gekko allows stability and safety, will travel on a train in its folded state and has castors making its motion no more difficult