Suggestions for children's helmets?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mark a.

Suggestions for children's helmets?

Post by mark a. »

I'll soon be nipping down the shops to buy a helmet for my 1 year old. Its main purpose will be to help if the bike topples over while he's still strapped in his seat (it's happened to a few people I know!)

Other than a good fit, is there anything I should be looking out for in the shops? Or are child helmets under the same sort of regulations as adult helmets so they're all substantially the same?

(I intentionally didn't put this in the helmet sub-forum because I don't want this to be anything about policy or politics or anything like that. I just want advice for a biking accessory from people who've had experience.)
Vantage

Re: Suggestions for children's helmets?

Post by Vantage »

Get a trailer instead.
You'll not have the worry of it toppling over unless you take corners at breakneck speed. If it rains the kiddies stay dry. And best of all, they can play with their toys while you do all the hard work.
Those brain - dead zombies in their metal boxes also tend to give kiddie trailers a wide berth.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The most important thing is that it fits correctly. The additional weight on a child's head is significant. So, I would select the lightest possible. The other thing to pay attention to is whether the child can remove it. My son took his helmet off and ate it. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Mini V did fall over in a child seat on the back of the bike once (my fault). TBH, the side of the seat did more to protect her than the helmet. I don't think her head even hit the ground. If it did, it wasn't by much, and if she hadn't been wearing a helmet, it would have been that much further from the ground.

Some sites advise letting your child select the helmet to increase the likelihood that they will wear it. I think that depends quite a bit on the child.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JOOVY-Noodle-He ... B00ZSQST7W

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... t-ec043576

Are both light weight, well-constructed helmets. But check for fit before you buy. A £10 'Cars' helmet that fits well is better than a light-weight £50 helmet that doesn't.

Snell standards are different for children's helmets than adult ones. And better than the European standard. The Specialized Small Fry meets SNELL B90 A(child), but is consequently a little heavier than the Joovy Noodle, which meets CPSC / EC standards.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Go to a shop with staff who are trained to fit helmets, and who have a large selection

the bigger out-of-town "word corrected to Halfords" spring to mind here. if the staff are **** (eg letchworth) go to one where they are good, most are.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

greyingbeard wrote:Go to a shop with staff who are trained to fit helmets, and who have a large selection

the bigger out-of-town "word corrected to Halfords" spring to mind here.

You're being ironic right?
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

no, seriously, they have lots of helmets and usually have someone who knows what s/he is on about.

otherwise trawl the lbs's

they have to be tried on and parent needs to know how to adjust them.
So many kids are riding around with token lid tilted backward, sliding off, very little protection offered. I suppose it ticks mummys worry box.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Thanks. We already have a trailer (an excellent Chariot) but the seat will be for the quick trip to the nursery and things like that.

I hadn't really considered how important weight is. We'll try our local Evans but it's not that big so perhaps the bigger Halfords will be worth a visit (shudder). At least Halfords is probably more set up for selling to children than the local Evans which is more for the commuter and lycra / gnarly riders.

I need to install the bike seat. We've ended up with a crossbar one for now (we'll probably get a behind the seat one at some point for another bike) but until I've fitted it I've no idea what the head protection from the seat will be. Hopefully that won't be needed! The "best" incident from my family was a bike resting on a low wall, so not only did it topple it inverted as it flipped over the wall, so the baby essentially landed on the top of its head!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mark a. wrote:I hadn't really considered how important weight is. We'll try our local Evans but it's not that big so perhaps the bigger Halfords will be worth a visit (shudder). At least Halfords is probably more set up for selling to children than the local Evans which is more for the commuter and lycra / gnarly riders.

A Cycle King or UK Cycles may have more children's stuff if you have one near you. Also Decathlon usually have a pretty good selection.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

greyingbeard wrote:no, seriously, they have lots of helmets and usually have someone who knows what s/he is on about.

You mean the same knowledgable people that have sold kids bikes with the forks back to front?