The Disc Brake Naughty Corner Thread

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: The Disc Brake Naughty Corner Thread

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
Wiki wrote:To list advantages of drum brakes:

less expensive to produce
slightly lower frequency of maintenance due to better corrosion resistance compared to disks.
built-in self energizing effect requires less input force (such as hydraulic pressure).
wheel cylinders are somewhat simpler to recondition compared to calipers.
minor weight savings, primarily from much smaller and lighter hydraulic cylinders vs. calipers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_brake#Advantages

I wish I could agree,but I don't.
I've had,drums all round,discs front/drums rear,discs all round,and as posted up thread the only drums I'd like again are to operate just the hand brake as per Vauxhall Carlton/Omega.
Up until about 7 years ago I used to do all my own servicing,there's no contest IME,discs all round for me every time.
Our lastest car(Ford C Max) has five spoke wheels that make it a doddle to check the state of brake pad wear by just bending down and looking :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dave W wrote:I had a large front drum brake on one of my early motorcycles - Yamaha RD200 it threw me over the handlebars once whilst braking in damp conditions. I think it was the build up of brake dust inside the drum that was the culprit.

My Suzuki T500K* had a twin leading shoe front brake that used to fade terribly,I had some Ferrodo green linings fitted,they transformed the front brake.

*The model after it had a disc up front which was much better than the standard TLS drum but no better than with the upgraded Ferrodo shoes.
W H Auden
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Dave W wrote:I had a large front drum brake on one of my early motorcycles - Yamaha RD200 it threw me over the handlebars once whilst braking in damp conditions. I think it was the build up of brake dust inside the drum that was the culprit.

Same on my Honda CB250 with its twin-leading-shoe front brake. Very little modulation compared to a disc.

Combined with Jap (ie Bridgestone) tyres in wet weather, this was a lethal combination - I can remember sliding towards the traffic island at the top of Bristol Street with the front brake locked-on! Replaced the tyres with Dunlops and didn't look back after that. Still don't buy Bridgestones out of choice!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Very probable rust on drum then the brake grabs.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The single disc on the front of my old B1 z650 was lethal in the wet. Poor braking at light pressure then suddenly grabbed and would lock the front wheel. I got very good at slapping a foot down. Good job I'm tall.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

rmurphy195 wrote:I have disc brakes on my new tourer........

the lovely anodising on the wheel rims is not being scrubbed-off! And no horrible scraping noises from the rims riding along gritty towpaths!

uh huh...

rmurphy195 wrote: ....noisy in the dry (sintered pads or something).....

just horrible scraping sounds the rest of the time....? :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:I have disc brakes on my new tourer........

the lovely anodising on the wheel rims is not being scrubbed-off! And no horrible scraping noises from the rims riding along gritty towpaths!

uh huh...

I think he means when braking.

rmurphy195 wrote: ....noisy in the dry (sintered pads or something).....

just horrible scraping sounds the rest of the time....? :roll:

cheers

Uh huh!

FWIW I find sintered pads can be mildy noisy with initial braking in the wet.Organic pads are very quiet but wear quicker,especially in mucky off road or wet winter conditions.
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Aug 2015, 10:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Naughty. Is this a shift in the meaning of a word and is the current terminology for 'supetior'.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:Naughty. Is this a shift in the meaning of a word and is the current terminology for 'supetior'.

Did you mean superior?
If so,IMO no,it's a thread posted in defence of the disc brake,which is much maligned by some :)
W H Auden
nez

Post by nez »

Mick F wrote:First car I owned with disc brakes was a Triumph Herald 12/50, though I've never owned a car with four disc brakes.

I wonder, what is the benefit of rear discs?

I have a Saab with all round discs (actually it has drums for the hand brake too, the mechanic tells me). It's got a lot of stopping power. I have absolutely no idea if it offers any advantage because of course in a heavy front wheel drive car most of the braking is on the front.

I bought a Specialized Roubaix a couple of months ago with discs. I've got to say I love it. I think it does have more stopping power than my old Dawes Super Galaxy with cantis.. But they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The thing that gives me lots of confidence in the disc brakes is the feeling I can always apply more stopping power.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nez dans le guidon wrote:
Mick F wrote:First car I owned with disc brakes was a Triumph Herald 12/50, though I've never owned a car with four disc brakes.I wonder, what is the benefit of rear discs?

I have a Saab with all round discs (actually it has drums for the hand brake too, the mechanic tells me). It's got a lot of stopping power. I have absolutely no idea if it offers any advantage because of course in a heavy front wheel drive car most of the braking is on the front.

SAABs (like many other cars) are usually rather front heavy when empty and rather tail heavy when full of people and stuff. They normally have a pretty good brake specification. Because of weight transfer under braking, even an inherently rear heavy vehicle usually needs bigger brakes at the front than the back. Very few road-going cars have vented rear discs; the rear brakes just don't have to do enough work to need it.

I've had cars with drum brakes all round and they were OK for about the first half of the first stop, and after that the brakes went away. I had one car where you couldn't pull up from 70mph (even once) and have any brakes left by the time you were doing 10mph. Downhill, it was just rather dangerous. I'm sure that modern brake lining materials would improve greatly on that, but that is how they were back in the day. You couldn't easily brake hard enough to boil the brake fluid, because the brake linings stopped working well before that. Drums on cars have their plus points (they are kinder to wheels; far less hot brake dust gets stuck in the finish) but discs normally offer more braking power.

Crucially (with the exception of being completely soaked - think fording or the very heaviest rain) disc brakes can be made to modulate more consistently. This is good for confidence and it also allows the ABS system to work at its best.

I guess I've owned about a dozen different cars with discs all round. Some have had drum brake shoes inside the bell of the rear disc as well, thus giving a handbrake, others have had the handbrake mechanically applied via the rear brake caliper.
The common feature of all these cars is that the rear brakes have been operated by a bias valving arrangement. There are various ways of doing it, (for example the rear ride height can be sensed and used to modulate the rear brake power, using quite a simple mechanical arrangement) but on many passenger cars there is simply a bias valve that establishes a fixed pressure differential between the front and rear brake circuits. This protocol means you can't instantly lock the rear wheels on the slippiest surfaces which (without ABS) causes people to crash otherwise. It also helps avoid rear wheel lockups under heavy braking.

But there is a problem; in light braking, the rear brakes hardly get used. So if light braking is normal braking, the rear discs can easily start to rust and unlike the front brakes, normal use won't necessarily clean the discs up. At one time my regular car commute could be (and often was, courtesy of uphill exit slips ) executed with nothing more than a couple of episodes of light braking; not enough to keep the discs clean. So I've worn out front discs many times, but never rear discs. However I've bought as many rear discs as fronts; the rears have simply corroded. I used to use pad compounds that were not inherently abrasive (some of these work by depositing a film of the pad material on the disc, thus reducing disc wear to near zero) but these days I use a more abrasive compound; this wears the front discs but it also keeps the rear discs cleaner, even though I don't do as many miles these days.

Needless to say it is the winter road salt that causes the corrosion to be as bad as it is, and in extremis the front brakes can rust too. Normally this happens on the inside face of the disc more than the outside, because of the airflow direction under the car. I've seen front discs that looked fine on the outside, but were 50% rusted on the inside face.

Bicycle (and motorcycle) discs have a problem which is that they are more likely to be completely wet through than car brakes; this is simply because the discs are more exposed. Very many disc brake pad compounds are completely useless when the brakes are wet through (ever tried your car brakes after fording? -like that) so what you can get away with on a car is not necessarily applicable to a bicycle or motorcycle.

Pad compounds that (for bicycle use) are variously described as 'organic' through to 'semi metallic' can be broadly similar to the kinds of compounds that are used on cars. Many of these can offer zero braking efficiency (for a few heart-stopping seconds when the brakes are wet right through) on first application; to my mind this makes them completely unsuitable for all weather urban commuting, because in an emergency, you might as well have wet chrome steel rims, (or no brakes at all, even), the brakes can be that crap to start with (certainly a lot worse than even quite mediocre rim brakes).

So if I had to choose a disc setup for commuting it would be one with sintered pads (yes despite the ghastly noise in the dry) because that is one of the few setups that has reasonable bite in the wet on first application. That in turn means mechanical discs, not hydraulic, because sintered pads conduct the heat too well, into the vulnerable parts of a hydraulic caliper. Thus one of my favourite MTBs was spared commuting duties in wet weather, because the (otherwise fantastic, for MTBing) hydraulic discs were next to useless; if some cretin stepped off the pavement in front of me, there was no way I was going to stop.

For utility bikes, discs have their problems in other ways too; the workings can corrode in winter (the otherwise pretty good BB5 and BB7 calipers suffer from this in the FPA as do many others) or leak (any hydraulic system, really) if the bike is neglected in the usual way. If any maintenance is done, the rear disc usually gets 'oiled' along with the chain. Both discs are vulnerable to contamination via road film (water, oil, diesel, all mixed in together) and are also very vulnerable to knocks in bike racks etc.

So for utility riding, I prefer drums. I suppose shimano roller brakes are a kind of drum but I have concluded that these are not my favourites for a variety of reasons. Conventional drums (as we have them eg SA ones) are good because they are consistent in a way that other brakes are not, in most flavours of wet weather riding. Many of the troubles that afflict drums in motorbikes and cars don't cause problems in bicycles in the same way. Drums ain't perfect though; the modulation isn't as good as with decent disc brakes and 70mm drums in 27" wheels can be weak unless in good condition (and ideally given a floating brake plate). Also, if you leave the bike outside in the rain overnight leaning the wrong way the linings can eventually get wet and this can make for a variety of exciting things including;

- rusty drums making the brakes unusually sharp on first application
- much wetness (very rare this; the heaviest driving rain or submersion required) making the brakes ineffective as per discs with organic pads. NB unlike with discs I have never known this to happen to drums when riding in the rain.
- slightly damp brake linings that have ( I think) swollen a little and therefore can cause the brakes to jam on a little ( or a lot) until the brake linings have dried out.

But despite that you can have (I think) the most reliable brakes with the least maintenance if you choose drums. For example in my utility uses, 90mm drums offer more power than I need, modulation that is good enough to use it, and near-zero maintenance. In a year's riding (about 3000 miles, I think) you might want to use the barrel adjuster just the once to adjust for wear. Maybe two or three times if you live somewhere hilly.

For 'performance cycling' discs at first sight have attractions. But not all of these hold up under close scrutiny;

- overheating (tandems, tourists who drag their brakes, potentially any hydraulic system in road use)
- weight (all)
- knock-on effect on ride quality through stiffer fork (tourists and racers)
- maintenance (some brakes worse than others)
- initial cost
- non-availability of spare parts in LBSs (cf caliper brakes)
- initial wet weather performance (some)
- vulnerability of discs during transit/maintenance
- potential for burns on hot discs
- increased loading on the hub, hub bearings, spokes

are variously issues that have not been solved or can cause trouble in some (rather than all) disc brake applications. In any event these things can blunt the attractions of good power and modulation (that you might have most of the time), and a perception that your rims might last longer. I know some folk love their disc brakes, and they can suit some uses just fine, but IMHO it isn't a done deal for everyone, not by a long chalk.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Sorry, this is the naughty corner - you're not supposed to be in here :lol:
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

I predict disc brakes on road bikes is really going to take off in the next couple of years. Could be some bargains about for those who want to live in the past.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I hope you've retired to a safe distance...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
Bicycle (and motorcycle) discs have a problem which is that they are more likely to be completely wet through than car brakes; this is simply because the discs are more exposed. Very many disc brake pad compounds are completely useless when the brakes are wet through (ever tried your car brakes after fording? -like that) so what you can get away with on a car is not necessarily applicable to a bicycle or motorcycle.

Pad compounds that (for bicycle use) are variously described as 'organic' through to 'semi metallic' can be broadly similar to the kinds of compounds that are used on cars. Many of these can offer zero braking efficiency (for a few heart-stopping seconds when the brakes are wet right through) on first application; to my mind this makes them completely unsuitable for all weather urban commuting, because in an emergency, you might as well have wet chrome steel rims, (or no brakes at all, even), the brakes can be that crap to start with (certainly a lot worse than even quite mediocre rim brakes).

I not experienced the 'no brakes initially when wet' scenario with organic pads,though it has to be said in wet weather I generally do a leettle drag on the brakes occasionally to clear them which is a left over from that awful 'rim brake in the wet' syndrome,though nowadays I do use sintered pads for longevity in mucky conditions.

So if I had to choose a disc setup for commuting it would be one with sintered pads (yes despite the ghastly noise in the dry)

What ghastly noise in the dry is this?
Initial squeal in wet 'n mucky conditions with sintered pads I've experienced,in the dry never.

For utility bikes, discs have their problems in other ways too; the workings can corrode in winter (the otherwise pretty good BB5 and BB7 calipers suffer from this in the FPA as do many others) or leak (any hydraulic system, really) if the bike is neglected in the usual way. If any maintenance is done, the rear disc usually gets 'oiled' along with the chain. Both discs are vulnerable to contamination via road film (water, oil, diesel, all mixed in together) and are also very vulnerable to knocks in bike racks etc.

There's a simple answer to that.
Maintain them in the usual way :wink:
Squirt the caliper between the pads from above with brake cleaner,and then spray some on piece of kitchen roll and run the rotor through it,perhaps once a month
Copper grease on adjuster threads,and leettle GT85 drizzled on the adjusters every couple of weeks in wet winter conditions.
All of which takes no more than five minutes and keeps the brake in top condition.

So for utility riding, I prefer drums. I suppose shimano roller brakes are a kind of drum but I have concluded that these are not my favourites for a variety of reasons. Conventional drums (as we have them eg SA ones) are good because they are consistent in a way that other brakes are not, in most flavours of wet weather riding. Many of the troubles that afflict drums in motorbikes and cars don't cause problems in bicycles in the same way. Drums ain't perfect though; the modulation isn't as good as with decent disc brakes and 70mm drums in 27" wheels can be weak unless in good condition (and ideally given a floating brake plate). Also, if you leave the bike outside in the rain overnight leaning the wrong way the linings can eventually get wet and this can make for a variety of exciting things including;

- rusty drums making the brakes unusually sharp on first application
- much wetness (very rare this; the heaviest driving rain or submersion required) making the brakes ineffective as per discs with organic pads. NB unlike with discs I have never known this to happen to drums when riding in the rain.
- slightly damp brake linings that have ( I think) swollen a little and therefore can cause the brakes to jam on a little ( or a lot) until the brake linings have dried out.

But despite that you can have (I think) the most reliable brakes with the least maintenance if you choose drums. For example in my utility uses, 90mm drums offer more power than I need, modulation that is good enough to use it, and near-zero maintenance. In a year's riding (about 3000 miles, I think) you might want to use the barrel adjuster just the once to adjust for wear. Maybe two or three times if you live somewhere hilly.

I'll buy that,but I won't be buying drums any time soon :)

For 'performance cycling' discs at first sight have attractions. But not all of these hold up under close scrutiny;

- overheating (tandems, tourists who drag their brakes, potentially any hydraulic system in road use)

Forget the hydros.
Though we haven't toured a lot on the tandem with BB7's(203mm rotors) and never in very mountainous terrain,they've never let us down and I've yet to experience fade or melted components though an alternating front/rear braking technique does allow one brake to cool whist the other is used on longish descents.
- weight (all)

On a touring bike the difference is minimal,ie;my Vaya's weight 12kg with pretty standard durable components.
- knock-on effect on ride quality through stiffer fork (tourists and racers)

If a true touring bike the fork will be stiff anyway to accommodate front pannier loads and if you enjoy the ride quality of big supple lightweight tyres on our crap roads ride quality is unaffected or even better than narrow HP's with a springy fork,fast descents IME are far more secure on big rubber.
- maintenance (some brakes worse than others)

The two I've used Spykes(not long term) and BB7's(six years solos and tandem)maintenance is minimal compared to rims,especially in mucky conditions,with no rim wear and loooonnnggg lasting (sintered)pads
- initial cost

I'll give you that,they're about twice the price,but it's a one off initial cost of around £50 more.
- non-availability of spare parts in LBSs (cf caliper brakes)

Choose the right brake and any LBS that sells MTB bits will have Shimano M525's(used not just in Shimano brakes) or BB7 pads,other parts and pads FTM are so small they can be bought on the web and carried the weight penalty is but a few grams.
- initial wet weather performance (some)

Not IME,which is limited to BB7's and Spykes
- vulnerability of discs during transit/maintenance

You may have a point,though we have a friends with tandem which has a 300mm rotor on the rear,they fly with it annually,sometimes twice a year,he simply removes the rotor(six bolts)and packs it down the stiff side of the pannier and I've not experienced any bent rotor disasters.
- potential for burns on hot discs

Only if you touch them when you shouldn't,a bit like fires :wink:
- increased loading on the hub, hub bearings, spokes

Not experienced any such issues or heard of any due to discs brakes being the cause,though I've no doubt it could happen.
We have worn through a 48hole rim when on tour,try buy one of those in a LBS even in NL :shock:

are variously issues that have not been solved or can cause trouble in some (rather than all) disc brake applications. In any event these things can blunt the attractions of good power and modulation (that you might have most of the time), and a perception that your rims might last longer.

But it's not just rim life is it?
It's consistent all weather braking,far better modulation, one finger ES that put other systems to shame,yes there are some tiny downsides but TBH I like discs predominately because they're reliable and stop PDQ much better in all conditions,than any rim brake I've ever used.
I know some folk love their disc brakes, and they can suit some uses just fine, but IMHO it isn't a done deal for everyone, not by a long chalk.

cheers

Generally I'd agree some people will prefer other systems for various reasons but it doesn't take anything away from a damned good braking system that works wet or dry such as discs do.
YVMV :wink:
W H Auden