Surly Long Haul- is standard spec good enough?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
FarOeuf

Re: Surly Long Haul- is standard spec good enough?

Post by FarOeuf »

I've ridden UK to Istanbul, a few trips through Europe, and some off-road in the Pyrenees, on my Trucker. I switched to downtube shifters (fewer accidental knocks) and Tektro 520 levers, and v-brakes. I've also found that 8-speed lasts a very long time (Sora chainset, XT everything else). I don't find 10-speed very durable while touring, neither are that many sprockets much benefit.

I used a Disc Trucker on my last ride towards Istanbul, and I don't think it's worth it over the LHT. The disc rotors (in general) are a bit too fragile for a travel bike. Nothing went wrong, but I don't need the hassle of being careful when leaning the bike against anything, or anyone leaning their loaded tourer against mine.

With a frameset and some smart buying, you could build a cheaper and more durable Trucker on 8/9 speed. For a trip like that it's probably worth the investment in a wheel truing stand and start building your own wheels before you head off; it's not as hard as you think. Building the bike up yourself is also a good way to learn maintenance before you go.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

irc wrote:
Worth going to Spa just for the handbuilt wheels. Says choice of rims so you could get Sputnik rims for bombproof wheels with rims that suit wide tyres. As they say custom builds are available you could probably get any changes made at minimum cost..

Has anyone had a custom build with Spa, particularly flat bar?

What do you do about sizing/trying out?

Are they amenable to nattering about stuff or do they get impatient for a quick sale? I ask this after an experience with a nameless shop which didn't quite live up to its reputation/the image it promotes.

Will they incorporate bits that you have but which they couldn't get? - Reason I ask is not because I am trying to cut their margin. But I have a new pair of Alivio 8 speed shifters which I think are better (for my purposes) than anything they could source. Am more then happy for them to supply all other bits - their wheels are great (I have a pair) and their chainsets appear to have an excellent reputation.

Finally a question for the OP - you mention the possibility of a local bike shop but I am not sure where you are.
Sweep
Godlykepower

Post by Godlykepower »

PM sent regarding my Surly I may sell.
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi Hippy on Wheels,

I brought a Long Haul Trucker frameset ~4 yrs ago, and built it up with a pair of Spa wheels.
I added a front wheel dynamo & B&M lights a year later, and wished I'd had them from the beginning.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

So if I were you, I'd ponder your preferred spec and chat to Spa, tell them what components you want and ask them for a quote.
As others have said, it allows you to get the bike you want, e.g. stem length, gearing etc. & it might be better value than buying individual components & building it all up yourself (depends what you've got in the parts bin I suppose). Would certainly save you time.
e.g. my preference over the stock model would be for a 8 or 9 speed bar ends, V brake levers & V brakes, Tubus rack, lower gearing than stock, a Spa or Brooks saddle etc. (+ Grand Bois Maes Parallel bars & Grand Bois or Compass tyres, but these are really niche.)

Cheers,

Luke

CREPELLO wrote:
Freddie wrote:Do you really want to go to Turkey with ISIS operatives in the area? If I was you, I'd give it a wide berth.

Yeah, ISIS really is a turkey, defo give it a wide birth. Square taper always for touring :mrgreen:

Haha! Crepello, shouldn't that be "the so-called ISIS bottom bracket..."

See also:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/sho ... news-brand
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

I'm in Dorset, so bit far from Spa. I've heard good things about Charlie the Bikemonger over in Swanage, not too far from me so think I will give him a call and have a chat, the various suggestions have been really helpful though, thanks very much everyone...
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

hippyonwheels wrote:I'm in Dorset, so bit far from Spa. I've heard good things about Charlie the Bikemonger over in Swanage, not too far from me so think I will give him a call and have a chat, the various suggestions have been really helpful though, thanks very much everyone...

I've had a Surly Big Dummy from Charlie. There isn't a better bike shop in the land in my opinion. I've got the DT with a few mods (Surly racks, mudguards, hub Dynamo, lights, USB, 1.75" tyres, etc)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:
Freddie wrote:Do you really want to go to Turkey with ISIS operatives in the area? If I was you, I'd give it a wide berth.

There seem to be ISIS operatives in the UK too.....Should we advise all tourists to give the UK a wide berth?

Are they something to do with the University of Oxford perchance? They call their magazine and even the Thames Isis.......
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

somewhat OT but a cheap touring(-ish) frame (700C wheels, disc (or drum I suppose) brakes, 32mm tyre clearance) is the Planet -X kaffenback 2. They are selling these framesets off for £149 right now and presently have stock in all sizes, if not all colours.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXKBD2/planet-x-kaffenback-2-frameset

However I'm not sure it makes for a very good touring bike for loaded touring per se because there are no front carrier braze-ons, and 32mm tyres may not be wide enough for everyone. The rear caliper mount is in the way of the rear carrier, and although there are carrier mounts high up on the stays, there is only one set of eyes on the rear dropouts (I think). On the plus side there is a pump peg and double bottle bosses. Vertical dropouts are fitted at the rear and the fork ends are forward facing.

The frame is claimed to weigh about 2200g and the fork is (I think) about 1kg uncut. So the frameset isn't a 'lightweight' (for unladen use) either. I think it is the kind of thing that might make a good solid commuting machine or all rounder.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~