Handlebar bag

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Carlb80

Handlebar bag

Post by Carlb80 »

Hi all.

I am new to the site and cycling really. I have been a runner for many years but have really just started cycling after enjoying my commuting to work.

I was after some information on handlebar bags. I want something that I can use for some light day touring and sportives which I can fit in a waterproof coat, phone, wallet, spare tube pump, phone, etc. Ideally fit a map on top and waterproof preferably. My bike is a Ribble 7005 Audax if that is any helps.

Thanks in advance.

Carl
andrewjoseph

Re: Handlebar bag

Post by andrewjoseph »

if it's big enough to fit a map on top, then it may interfere with cables from some older sti levers and/or interfere with the lever throw of some sti levers.

i have a large topeak. it's not waterproof but has a rain cover which is not very waterproof either. the rain cover can then obscure the map, so this needs to be taken off and secured on top of the rain cover.

next time i'll get a waterproof bar bag.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

bar bags are preferred by a lot of folk because you can have a map pocket and it can be (in theory not always in practice) easy enough to delve inside the bag whilst you are going along.

However the alternative is a seat pack or saddlebag of some kind, and a lot of folk prefer those too. Six of one...?

Well there are some givens;

1) the steering will usually be more affected by a bar bag than a saddlebag
2) a bar bag will interfere with 'washing line' STI gear cables, if you have them.
3) you need to think about where your lights are going to go, esp with a bar bag.
4) except for the smallest bags of each type (which just strap on), a bag of any kind is defined in good part by the support frame and how it attaches to the bike.

The fourth of these is non-obvious and non-trivial. If you settle on one type of bag/support frame, you may find that it will only fit well (or even fit at all) on a few types of bike component, and not to all of those without either causing damage or leaving a lot of junk on the bike when you are not using the bag.

IMHO the kinds of bar bags that work best are the kind that use a decaleur and are therefore usually attached to frames (or even whole bikes) that are designed for this from the word 'go'. However these are usually intended to carry a heavier load if required too, so perhaps mightn't suit you.

In point of fact you could carry most (if not all) of the stuff you mention in jersey pockets, maybe supplemented with a small bag (seat pack?) of some kind. BTW on bikes with mudguards fitted, a seat pack/saddlebag stays pretty dry when you are moving, because your body shelters it. Bar bags need to be much better made if the contents are to stay properly dry in the rain; it drives straight at them.

To confuse the issue there are also frame bags and top tube mounted bags. Some of the latter are designed to hold a smartphone/ GPS/ small map on view in the top pocket, like this;
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lezyne-smart-energy-caddy-prod35722/

BTW if you use straps to secure any bag onto a black finished or painted surface on the bike, that surface will look terrible after a fairly short period of time. Anodising will wear through and polished parts will be marred also. I'd advise taping up any surface that you don't want marked by a bag or its straps etc.

There is a good selection of bar bags here;
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/barbags-dept563_pg1/#page=all

seat packs and top tube bags here;
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddle-packs-framebags-dept566_pg1/#page=1

saddlebags here;
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/traditional-saddlebags-dept565_pg1/#page=all

FWIW I use a Nelson longflap saddlebag on a QD uplift (similar to those now made by carradice); a downside to this arrangement is that it is designed to work with a Brooks saddle, so I have had to modify non-brooks saddles to work with it. On the plus side it leaves little or no junk on the bike when I'm not using it, and it will open up to accept 17 litres of stuff (up to 10kg or so) as needs be. No map holder though!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'd put spare tube, tools in a seat pack, as you don't need ready access to them. Pump on the frame somewhere.I carry my waterproof either strapped to my rear rack, or in a large tool bottle that goes in one of the bottle carriers.

I keep phone, wallet, keys, and food in a small bar bag. I have an FWE one from Evans Cycles. It's on the small side but it doesn't interfere with the STI cables. It has a window in the top where you can put your phone or GPS for route reading.

My wife has the Topeak Tourguide DX which is also small enough not to interfere with STI cables but has a map pocket. Neither of our bags are fully waterproof but will withstand drizzle or the odd heavy shower.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I am going to assume that having a map in front of you whilst cycling is an important consideration. I have had some bad experiences with my bar bag's map case - the fastening system failed:

http://cycleseven.org/altura-orkney-han ... bag-review

So bear that in mind when looking for a suitable model - the one I have may have since been redesigned. Do think about how one would work with lights.

I agree with other comments re tools, pumps etc: stick them in something under your saddle.

A simple rule of thumb is only put in your bar bag something you can make use of whilst riding or when stopped and straddling the top tube, eg:

Phone
Camera
Light grub
Sunglasses
Light clothing

I am seeing more and more cyclists with top tube mounted bags. No map option (although you could stash your own custom map in one I suppose).

Anything you must dismount to use should go in an underseat pack, rack bag or pannier. Good luck choosing.

PS - I also use a tool bottle that fits in the second bottle cage. Except I fill it with grub :smile: