Surly Cross Check Project - Help, Advice, Suggestions pls!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Freddie

Re: Surly Cross Check Project - Help, Advice, Suggestions pl

Post by Freddie »

I tried the Randonneur bars and didn't like them, too narrow on the tops and the flare was too extreme for my liking. I really only think a flare a few degrees out is necessary for the most comfort (this is how hands naturally fall by your side). The compact or standard bars will depend on whether you are using STIs or not. STIs have really long hoods, so are better with compact drops and standard bars (Noodles et al) are better with non-STI hoods (Exage, old 105 style).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Take a look at these:- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBPX6061SD ... allow-drop
They sweep back quite a way ,I like 'em :) ......

R2, it doesn't look like it in their picture, do the "tops" sweep back from the bar boss, like the "noodles".....if so, they could be ideal for my long top tube bike!....don't suppose you have a picture?

I have them on one of the tandems,I've just been out and measured them.
The tops don't sweep back as the Nitto's in your photo.
The drops on the Planet X 'bars sweep back behind the tops by about 60mm.
FSA Vero sweep back 5 to 7mm more.
Both are the same 70/75mm reach and 120mm drop
NOTE:-It's not an exact science with the 'bars on the bike all taped up so measurements are approximate.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Another option for a Randonneur style bar is the Velo Orange version
http://practicalcycles.com/products/240 ... lebar.aspx
531colin

Post by 531colin »

reohn2 wrote:.............
The tops don't sweep back as the Nitto's in your photo...............

Pity.....thanks for looking!
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have a pair of Salsa compact drop bars on my Disc Trucker and ordered a pair of the same from my Cross Check. I can't remember offhand the name but they aren't on the current Salsa website. Mine have a 4 degree outward flare on the drops. Quite a bit less than the Cowbell. I ordered my bars from a discount site in Germany as they seem to have been discontinued in the UK. I will post an update when I get home
73Chaz

Post by 73Chaz »

Hmmm... Some interesting suggestions.

I like the look of the Salsa Cowbell, and the Noodle too. I need to have a quick check of where the tops of the bars are going to end up relative to the saddle so I can decide on how much reach and drop will work.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

73Chaz wrote:Hmmm... Some interesting suggestions.

I like the look of the Salsa Cowbell, and the Noodle too.

Cowbell's(2 and 3) are very similar to FSA Veros/PX's but flared out slightly.

I need to have a quick check of where the tops of the bars are going to end up relative to the saddle so I can decide on how much reach and drop will work.

Most folks spend most of their time on the hoods,so they should dictate stem length,not tops,especially with short reach compacts such as cowbells/Veros/PX shallows.
Make sure you get the correct width :wink:
W H Auden
73Chaz

Post by 73Chaz »

Here's how the Cross Check compares to the Lynskey:

On the frames alone, the Cross Check has 9mm more reach and 13mm less stack, so kind of going the opposite way to my intention for a slighlty less "racy" position. I have 25mm spacers under the stem on the Lynskey, and the Cross Check came with 30mm of spacers, which is quite handy.

If I use a 90mm stem with 7 degree rise (Zenith Classic Ahead on Spa website), and including the spacers, I end up with 30mm less reach and 7mm more stack at the stem clamp - hopefully more than enough to accomodate the difference in reach with the Noodles vs the Deda drops (Fluida bar says 75mm reach which seems about the same as my RHM as roughly measured with a tape. Accoding to the Rivendell website, Noodle has 92mm reach).

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/hb1.htm

This seems ok for a starting postion; I can always try a more upish stem later. Phew!
73Chaz

Post by 73Chaz »

So, we have made some more prgress. Wheels have been built; I chickend out of doing it myself (maybe next time, I did buy Roger Musson's book).

Question - how do i know if i need a spacer behind my cassette? It's a 9 speed HG80 on a Shimano XT FH-T780 hub. Dropped on, it all looks fine but I've not done this before. Here are some pics:

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you will need a spacer if the smallest cog bottoms out on the splines instead of compressing all the other cogs in the cassette. Annoyingly it can seem like the second thing is happening when actually it is the first. Sometimes you can measure the position of the smallest sprocket and compare it with that seen when just the small cog is fitted to the freehub body (in which case you know for sure it is bottomed out).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
73Chaz

Post by 73Chaz »

Thanks Brucey
It seems to fit well as the smallest cog takes the cassette right to the edge of the free hub body and the locking ring presses against the smallest cog - I think that's what you are describing.
I'll post a couple more pictures later.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The cassette cluster should feel tight(compressed)onto the back of the freehub body by the smallest cog when the lockring is tightened.If it isn't you'll feel a slliigghhtt amount of lateral play in it.
The answer is a 1mm spacer between the smallest cog and cog No8.
W H Auden
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

An update on my own Cross Check project. For 18 months I persevered with flat bars and ergon grips, but never felt comfortable over 50km. Changed to drops recently, FSA Vero Compact bars, Tektro V brake levers and the bike is wonderful. It is much more comfortable and the narrower bars are great. I can also get down on the drops without discomfort. (The top of the bars is roughly level with the saddle). The best bit is that a burst of energy input is rewarded with speed; it feels much more "sporty". It has transformed the bike! Love it.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I meant to put this update on several weeks ago. I have built the bike up now and my C-C rides beautifully. Much more responsive than the Disc Trucker but not twitchy. I really like the v brakes, wheels and and the ride on the Vittoria Hypers. The bars that I have are Salsa PRM3, same as on my Disc Trucker;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=salsa ... qFtNajM%3A
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Funnily enough I have bought a 62cm Cross Check and will be building it up very soon. The parts I have gone for are V brakes, Deore LX; Tektro 520 brake levers on drop bars, Dura Ace bar end shifters, stronglight triple chainset in 46/34/24 with 11-32 cassette, XT front derailleur and Deore rear derailleur. Shimano N80 dynamo front hub to power a B&M Cyo frontlight. Tyres are 700 x 37 Vittoria Hypers. As i have yet to put it all together I hope it all works. My build is for Audax

Merry_Wanderer wrote:I meant to put this update on several weeks ago. I have built the bike up now and my C-C rides beautifully. Much more responsive than the Disc Trucker but not twitchy. I really like the v brakes, wheels and and the ride on the Vittoria Hypers. The bars that I have are Salsa PRM3, same as on my Disc Trucker;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=salsa ... qFtNajM%3A

what rims/spokes and rear hub did you go for?

I'm guessing that you have shed about 1lb off the frame, a bit off the wheels and a bit off the running gear vs the disc trucker, maybe 2-3lbs all told? But any weight lost in the frame and the wheels will very greatly affect the way the bike rides, I would have said.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~