Surly Cross Check Project - Help, Advice, Suggestions pls!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
73Chaz

Re: Surly Cross Check Project - Help, Advice, Suggestions pl

Post by 73Chaz »

Thanks Brucey; all the sprockets are moving together as one unit, so this is not curable? I compared to my other bike which has an Ambrosio hub, and the cassette on that feels completely solid.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

do just double-check that the riveted sprockets are not moving independently of the smallest one, (but from the sound of it they are not).

Most shimano freehubs have a tiny bit of play in the freehub bearings, much as most freewheels did back in the day. It doesn't really do any harm, because the pawls are offset inside the freehub body; this means that freehubs with a little bearing play don't tend to rattle like slack freewheels do.

Is it 'curable'? Well if you really want to you can fix it but you need to strip the freehub body down and lap/re-shim it. I rarely bother to do this on a brand new hub because the bearings run in after a while anyway, and until they do the bearings won't have stabilised entirely. Most people don't bother to do it ever.

The ambrosia (Novatec) approach is to use cartridge bearings between the freehub and the axle. This is OK for unladen work, and it lets you (for good or ill) more easily use an aluminium freehub body etc but (IMHO) the net result isn't as strong as the shimano design.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

73Chaz wrote:Back brake is functional now. I found that the fat tyres made aligning the brake blocks a little tricky as I coundn't see them both and the gap to the rim at the same time.

A bit late now, but I usually (And always on a new build) set the brakes up with the tyre off.