Gpx files

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
matt2matt2002

Gpx files

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I want to treat myself to a Garmin Edge 810 and have looked at several sites for routes.
They allow me to download the route as a Gpx file.

My desk top computer is using windows XP.

When I tried to view the Gpx file a message tells me it was not recognised.

Question.
If I buy the Edge will I have to upgrade my windows?
Or maybe it doesn't matter that I cannot read the file since when I load/ transfer it to the Edge it will work there?

Thanks for your patience. I'm sure this is a simple issue.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
beardy

Re: Gpx files

Post by beardy »

You are right in thinking that only your GPS will need to be able to understand the gpx file, no need to upgrade your windows on that account.

I think that you can have a peek inside of your gpx file by opening it with notepad, if you feel like.
It will not mean much to you though.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Different types of file are opened by different applications. Many OSs (e.g. Windows) come with built-in applications for many common types of file. It would seem your XP does not come with a built-in application to open gpx files.

There are plenty of (free and paid for) applications that will open gpx files. e.g. download GoogleEarth (free) and install it and it will open your gpx files, superimposing the info over their satellite imagery/roads/etc. Many other applications as well. Probably many better applications (you can always bin GoogleEarth later or just use a newer better application when you find it.

Sorry I can't make recommendations for good Windows mapping apps as I use Macs these days.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 27 Aug 2015, 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Many thanks folks.
Looks like Santa will be bringing me that Edge, early!

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

A GPX is just a text file so you can view it in Notepad if you like. Not that it will mean anything it's just numbers.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

Garmin publish their own free desktop software called BaseCamp. It reads GPX files and you can use it to create routes and customise routes created on other applications. It also makes it easy to transfer those routes to your GPS device. No doubt other applications are just as good but the learning curve for Basecamp is not too steep.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

You won't be able to see the GPX route on your PC unless you use something like ' GPX Visualiser'
It's a useful site and you can convert all sorts of files very easily.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Psamathe wrote: snip

There are plenty of (free and paid for) applications that will open gpx files. e.g. download GoogleEarth (free) and install it and it will open your gpx files, superimposing the info over their satellite imagery/roads/etc.

snip

Ian

I'd be interested to know how that works? what do you do? - I've got Google Earth installed but can't see how you can open .gpx files on it.

(Being a bit of a map-buff I have Memory Map (which is my default .gpx opener) on the PC and use a plethora of online mapping stuff)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
skicat

Post by skicat »

Steve O'C wrote:Garmin publish their own free desktop software called BaseCamp. It reads GPX files and you can use it to create routes and customise routes created on other applications. It also makes it easy to transfer those routes to your GPS device. No doubt other applications are just as good but the learning curve for Basecamp is not too steep.

I'll second Basecamp as a very useful tool; I use it all the time.

One thing to watch for - the latest Basecamp does not run on Windows XP, however Garmin still publish the final version (4.2.5) that did. It will no longer continue to be improved but it does mean that you can at least work with maps and GPX files on XP. The database and all your data files can be read by the latest Basecamp should you choose to upgrade from XP in the future. If you do go sown this route (ha ha), Basecamp can be downloaded from here and there's nothing to stop you trying it before you even get a GPS.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

robgul wrote:
Psamathe wrote: snip

There are plenty of (free and paid for) applications that will open gpx files. e.g. download GoogleEarth (free) and install it and it will open your gpx files, superimposing the info over their satellite imagery/roads/etc.

snip

Ian

I'd be interested to know how that works? what do you do? - I've got Google Earth installed but can't see how you can open .gpx files on it.

(Being a bit of a map-buff I have Memory Map (which is my default .gpx opener) on the PC and use a plethora of online mapping stuff)

Rob

I've set-up a file extension association so by default .gpx files open in GoogleEarth. Otherwise do an "Open In" or run GoogleEarth and in the File menu File->Open ... and select a gpx file. Probably other methods as well but I don't like GoogleEarth but I've not yet found anything better (I just want mapping not satellite images).

It will then automatically zoom in to the area the gpx track covers, draw the gpx track/route and add the gpx to the Places bit of the sidebar (under "Temporary Places"). when you exit GoogleEarth it will ask you if you want to save the changes (i.e. put the gcx permanently in the "Places section of the Sidebar). Works for all sorts of gpx as I also loaded in Archies Camp Site Location gpx with is just a load of POIs (no track/route).

Right click on the entry under Temporary Places in the Places section of the Sidebar and select "Show Elevation Profile" and it will display altitude plots.

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

BikeHike will load GPX files (as well as a variety of other formats) & display them ovelayed on Google Maps/ Google Satellite/ OSM plus parallel Ordnance Survey (in the UK).

The big advantage of Google Earth over other programs is the ability to load a whole set of GPX (or other GPS files) - say the daily logs of a whole tour - & display them with the ability to switch each part on or off as you wish. With a bit of delving you can change the colours of different tours so you can see how routes you've done interact.

I download logs from my (ancient) Edge 605 to Garmin Training Center which has a 1 click option to view in Google Earth.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.