Tubular Tyre

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Alien

Tubular Tyre

Post by Alien »

I have decided to refurbished my 1974 Holdsworth custom bike I have 27" sprint wheels made up of Mavic rims, Normandy large flange hubs and fitted with 27 x 1 1/4" Wolber Classic 290 tubs now perished. I thought replacing the tubs was going to be easy "what a nightmare", I can get a 27 x 1 1/4" standard tyre which I believe they now call clinchers but not tubs. The common size for tubs is a 700C but I eventually found the size I require 630 x 32 but trying to find them I stand more chance of finding the 'Holy Grail'.

Sorry to go off on one but as a last resort I thought I would try this forum.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great as I really don't want to replace the wheels just to get a tub that fits!

Thanks.
Ugly

Re: Tubular Tyre

Post by Ugly »

Exotics apart, ie tubs for moultons, pacing bike front wheels, 24'' front wheels for low-profile bikes and before my time 26'' wheels, tubs only came in one size. For the GB market they were sometimes marked 27 x 11/4 but in fact they were nearer to a 700 rim size. Check the diameter of your sprints against a modern rim. New tubs will be a tight fit on the rim and don't forget tub cement or tub tape
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I believe Madgett's at Diss sell tubs, - I also think Planet X do, but I'm ready to be corrected.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you offer up a 700c rim next to your sprint rim you may well find that it is 'the same size' i.e. you wouldn't have to adjust the brakes to use it. If so, you have standard sized tubs, and you can get them anywhere.

If it is genuinely a 27" sprint rim then your rim will be 8mm larger outside diameter than a 700C rim. I can't say for sure that such thing does not exist, but I've never seen one!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I agree with what Ugly says. They'll be bog standard 700c sized tubs.

Ribble, amongst others, have a good choice.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/tubulars/tuba
Zardoz

Post by Zardoz »

I've found Decathlon often have reasonably priced tubs. 700x25 though. Probably not many 700x32 tubs around?

Alice