What bike for my son?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Revolution

What bike for my son?

Post by Revolution »

My 16 year old son is showing an interest in cycling. At present he is riding my Claud Butler Dalesman (1990's)
Although I have upgraded it somewhat I am thinking a new bike of the correct size may be better suited to him.
Essentially he needs a bike to travel the 3miles along a cycle path to school on a daily basis so I think the ability to fit mud guards is essential but he also rides 40 - 60k on a weekend with me on the road with some steep hills so drop bars and light-ish weight are important.
My own experience is that cyclocross bikes offer both the practicality of guards, pannier rack etc with a viable road feel. ) Second hand would mean a couple of hundred quid off the cost.
I recon on spending £500 tops - second hand could mean getting a higher spec or pricier bike for that kind of price. Does anyone have any experience / advice / thoughts on what I should be looking at?
Valbrona

Re: What bike for my son?

Post by Valbrona »

Giant Defy.
I should coco.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

an old hack for riding to school in case it gets nicked
Then he will really appreciate the good one for leisure
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

greyingbeard wrote:an old hack for riding to school in case it gets nicked

+1
Some form of unattractive bike for school.
How quickly is he growing?
Do you get a slightly bigger bike that he will grow into?
(Although bikes can be adjusted with longer stems and/taller seatpost.)
Have you asked him what kind of bike he would like?

One of the "Audax" style bikes often have rack and mudguard fixings.
A "Cross" bike could be ideal for rough stuff and should also be able to accept mudguards etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
g_r_richardson

Post by g_r_richardson »

greyingbeard wrote:an old hack for riding to school in case it gets nicked

Agree. If you've got the space, the two bike solution is the way forward.

3 miles on a cycle path should still be enjoyable riding anything. Old hybrid or MTB with slick tyres. If it's a flat ride, don't bother with gears to keep maintenance low.

Not so sure on the model for his but would also think an audax or cross bike would be a good bet. Leaves the options open for the type of riding he might end up wanting to do.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

If you want him to keep cycling strongly consider his choice, if he considers his bike uncool it won't get ridden as much as one that he likes. Short of a BMX any bike will do the job and lack of, perhaps mudguards/carrier can be rectified when he gets fed up with a wet bum/sweaty back from a rucksack.
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

At 16, getting the bike he wants (rather than dad picking the "right" one) will outweigh almost all other considerations.

For my lad, at that age, it was a BMX. Totally impractical, but he did many, many miles riding to school, college and subsequently work standing up pedalling furiously.
_________
LEJoG slug
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

s1965c wrote:At 16, getting the bike he wants (rather than dad picking the "right" one) will outweigh almost all other considerations.

For my lad, at that age, it was a BMX. Totally impractical, but he did many, many miles riding to school, college and subsequently work standing up pedalling furiously.

+1
whatever he want to ride.
I expect that you are enjoying shopping and drooling over new toys, but its his bike - you're just paying for it ;)
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

[quote="greyingbeard"

whatever he want to ride.
I expect that you are enjoying shopping and drooling over new toys, but its his bike - you're just paying for it ;)[/quote]

+1