Surly forks on non-Surly bikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal

Surly forks on non-Surly bikes

Post by Tangled Metal »

Simple question, can you fit Surly forks on another bike? They look like good forks and mine can't take front racks.

At the moment I've got an alu frame with carbon forks. It's a decent bike as it is but ability to take front forks would be useful. The bike is a gravel bike with 700x37 tyres. I'd like to be able to just switch the forks over and fit low riders. Thinking disc trucker type forks.

Would steel forks work on an alu bike? Mixing materials, although carbon works ok with alu.
A1anP

Re: Surly forks on non-Surly bikes

Post by A1anP »

Simple answer: yes, I've replaced the rusted up suspension forks on my (alu framed) Specialized Crosstrail with Surly Karate Monkey forks. Whether it's advisable or not I will leave to the more knowledgeable, but i like the way it turned out.
Going upwards at 45 degrees...
meic

Post by meic »

My experiences of a very similar situation.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60336&hilit=thorn+club&start=0
Yma o Hyd
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Lots of Alu bikes with steel forks, lots of bikes with a choice of steel or carbon forks and lots of carbon forks with non-carbon steerers. So, no material is not an issue. Brand isn't an issue either; there's no proprietary technology involved. Assuming a standard 1 1/8" headset, the only issue is how the dimensions of the replacement fork compare to the original ones and what any differences may have upon handling. To assess this you need to measure the axle to crown and offset of your current fork (though IIRC these may be standardised for carbon forks to aid interchangeability), then others on here will be able to explain how any differences would affect steering.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The existing forks are straight ones but the Surly are not so perhaps an issue there.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I have some nice forks that would suit you, new, £45 posted. 1-1/8" steel, triple butted, long steerer, disc and canti mounts, clearance for 700x40 + mudguards, rack mounts etc.

BTW it doesn't matter if the forks are straight or not, it is the offset from the steering axis that is important, and straight forks can have the same offset as curved ones. If you are loading the front end up a little less trail (more fork offset) isn't necessarily a bad thing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Brucey wrote:FWIW I have some nice forks that would suit you, new, £45 posted. 1-1/8" steel, triple butted, long steerer, disc and canti mounts, clearance for 700x40 + mudguards, rack mounts etc.

BTW it doesn't matter if the forks are straight or not, it is the offset from the steering axis that is important, and straight forks can have the same offset as curved ones. If you are loading the front end up a little less trail (more fork offset) isn't necessarily a bad thing.

cheers

I can vouch forthese forks; I bought the other set and have them on my Kona Jake. I put them on because I wanted front rack mounts and to use a disc brake. They lifted the front of the frame approximately 30 mm compared to the original Kona P2 forks, but the ride is much as before and the braking is much improved.

I was particularly happy that the red that my local powder coater had perfectly matched my frame, so much better than the black of the P2s (the forks, as supplied by Brucey were green - similarto Dawes Galaxy - so I assume that is what they were originally destined for.)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

goatwarden wrote: ....on my Kona Jake. I put them on because I wanted front rack mounts and to use a disc brake. They lifted the front of the frame approximately 30 mm compared to the original Kona P2 forks, but the ride is much as before and the braking is much improved.

I was particularly happy that the red that my local powder coater had perfectly matched my frame, so much better than the black of the P2s....

any pics?

cheers
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Can't make any sense of how to post a photo but it's here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/goatwarden/20834131792/sizes/c/

I have since done a tidier job with the mudguard stays.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

^^^ Neat :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How do you find the braking? It looks like you have v brakes rear and disc (cable actuated) up front. Did that change the feel of the bike when braking or does it not make much difference having two types of brakes on the same bike?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nice job! I wasn't sure that the colour change was really required but now I've seen it I think you did the right thing!

cheers
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Thanks Brucey; for posting the photo and your approval! The green looked at least as appropriate as the original black had but when I found the red the powder coat place had was so close I thought it well wort the £20 they charged me.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Are they BB7 brakes? Look like it to me.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Troll forks on my green Orange beastie. Got a Lava Dome with 1x1 forks also, but not built that up as yet... 3 years and counting. :oops: