Veloce vs. 105

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Veloce vs. 105

Post by Brucey »

fausto99 wrote:
Brucey wrote:(tip; the gear hanger needs a little negative camber and a little toe out if the gears are to work at their best).

Interesting, not that I'm complaining about the shift per se, just the sound. However, how does one go about adjusting camber and toe in/out with an alloy dropout in a carbon frame?

You can do that with the shimano tool (or another that works the same way like the Park Tool, or even a wheel with a 10x1 threaded axle, at a pinch). But with any frame (and especially carbon ones) you need to be sure that the hanger will take the tweak without the frame suffering. To achieve that I would suggest using a solid axle hub (or dummy hub) in the frame with large thick washers bearing against the dropouts, so that the hanger can bend without straining the frame unduly. A QR hub will not shield the dropouts from stress in the same way at all.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-hanger-alignment shows how to use the park tool gauge but they

a) don't mention the possibility of damaging the frame or protecting it using a solid axle hub and
b) suggest that an equal tolerance exists in both toe in and toe out directions (and similarly camber errors); this is not the case and (IIRC) is not what shimano say, either.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

fausto99 wrote:
Valbrona wrote:Veloce = Ultegra.

I don't think so. There's Athena, Chorus and Record all above Veloce. In my book that makes Veloce = Sora or Tiagra

Based on quality comparison and not simple hierarchy in a product range.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Valbrona wrote:
fausto99 wrote:
Valbrona wrote:Veloce = Ultegra.

I don't think so. There's Athena, Chorus and Record all above Veloce. In my book that makes Veloce = Sora or Tiagra

Based on quality comparison

Well I don't think you can have looked very hard at the engineering involved in each then...?

Close, but no cigar IMHO.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Brucey wrote:if you look at the shimano specs they allow 'perfect' square alignment but they also allow a small amount of negative camber and toe-out. Often the best shifting is with a little of each.

Having tried this now with a little bit of -ve camber and toe-out, I can report back that ........ it doesn't appear to have made any noticeable difference.

The gear change is good, but I feel it could be a bit better. Oh well, I assume this is as good as I can get it from this equipment (Ultegra rear mech, 105 10sp STI, KMC X10 93 chain, Dura-Ace gear cables and a 14-25 cassette).

I would love to put some Ultrega or Dura-Ace STIs on instead, but their cost seems rather high. Would have hoped the 10sp stuff would be going down in price but doesn't seem like it. Saw some Dura-Ace STIs for £159 and was tempted, but then discovered these were per lever not for the pair!
Will have to make do with what we have.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

...and another thing. Why is the parallelogram body length on the 10 speed 105 rear derailleur 5 mm shorter that the one on the 8 speed Veloce? Surely the 10 speed needs to move further?
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Is it a 105 cassette? Is the 'B' setting correct? I've always found 105 excellent.