Hello and thoughts on first bike project

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Hello and thoughts on first bike project

Post by Brucey »

its a fair cop guv; I meant to suggest that going the other way in large sizes is very much the exception vs 'the usual'.

It might be 'the usual' but as reported (73 deg /40-odd offset, is it?) it isn't the worst offender by any means....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

531colin wrote:
In that case, I am at a loss to explain why your stem change made any difference at all....

unintended headset adjustment perhaps....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Brucey wrote:its a fair cop guv; I meant to suggest that going the other way in large sizes is very much the exception vs 'the usual'.

It might be 'the usual' but as reported (73 deg /40-odd offset, is it?) it isn't the worst offender by any means....

cheers

I come back to this.....

531colin wrote:Is it acceptable for the bike industry to make bikes with either random or "fashionable" steering geometry, and the end user be expected to "get used to it"?
Chaz. still seems to find his bike twitchy, 18 months down the line.

True, there are examples worse (even faster steering) than 73 deg/43mm offset......but why? what is the benefit to the average end user?
You and I know that they do it in order to get a short wheelbase and a long(er) top tube in the bigger sizes, but firstly I don't think that is worth mangling the steering geometry for, and secondly I am certain that the customers don't pore over the geo. tables looking for a short wheelbase, so I don't think it even sells bikes.
Who is it for? The magazine reviewers?