Which rechargable bike light(s) please?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bicycler

Re: Which rechargable bike light(s) please?

Post by Bicycler »

edocaster wrote:I do find it funny that almost any lighting thread here will immediately turn into a list of K marks and obscure regulations which either prove impossible to adhere to the letter, or are observed by less than 0.1% of the cycling population. Yet just a couple of threads around the corner you'll have people advocating lying about the carrying of knives or trespassing to illegally camp on someone else's land.

For me this is about enabling someone to make an informed choice. General observance of the law may be low but this doesn't mean that almost all don't care about the law. Almost all cyclists are unaware of it (just as most people are unaware that trespass is not a crime). Many of the people informed of the lighting regs (such as the population of this forum) do choose to go to efforts to make their bike legal. Others see it as an irrelevance to be ignored and that is fair enough (as long as the lighting they choose is fit for purpose and not dazzling). I think it only right and proper that people are informed of the legal situation when they come on here seeking impartial light purchasing advice. I do agree that this endless discussion of what people should do re: legality becomes tiresome. We should provide the information (maybe there could be a standard post for this) and our own lighting recommendations and cease to get into heated criticism of other's choices.
PH

Post by PH »

g.meredith wrote:The K mark can save you a lot of trouble should you ever end up in court seeking compensation, following an accident. There is no point in buying illegal lights.

Have you an example of this ever happening?
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

IanW wrote:.....The use of the word "illegal" is probably a slight misnomer.
It probably ought to be "non-legally-compliant lights"
as in they do not meet the road vehicle lighting requirements (RVLR) legislation.

CJ used the terms approved and non-approved: so you need one pair of approved lamps to be legal, after that any extra pairs to simply not unnecessarily dazzle anyone.

NB an extra symmetrical front beam has some use as a main beam (switched off when approaching traffic/persons of coarse :) ).
I wonder if claiming cycle dipped headlamps are all you need means they are aimed a bit high: I need to slow to cycle within my dipped dynamo headlamps range.

AuraTodd wrote:.....It is getting very difficult to find any lights that are actually certified as meeting the BS6102-3.

The Brompton rear lamp is probably the last easily-ish available BS6102/3 lamp.
For front lights it. For front lamps I think it is now almost ~K or bust.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Eurolight still sell BS6102/3 lamps. Only some of these lamps state BS approval, none of them have built in batteries to charge via USB :lol: .

Rear: http://eurolightcycling.com/products.aspx?id=2# Front: http://eurolightcycling.com/products.aspx?id=1#

I usually have a BS rear light with a brighter (IMO) non-approved back up and a single German front light (occasionally two), I can't imagine using just a BS front lamp although there's still one in the garage.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
AuraTodd

Post by AuraTodd »

John_S wrote:Hi AuraTodd,

With respect to the lights that you where will you be using them, for example in well lit urban areas or unlit rural roads? Also what do you want from the lights that you're looking to buy now for example are you looking for something to see with or to be seen?

I've not tested loads of lights but as a light to see with I have the Trelock LS 950

https://www.trelock.de/web/en/produkte/fahrrad-beleuchtung/batterie-frontscheinwerfer/8002095_LS_950_ION.php

http://road.cc/content/review/47688-trelock-ls-950-ecopower-control-front-light

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/review-trelock-ls950-ion-front-light-46774/

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/trelock-ls-950-control-ion-battery-front-light/aid:470889

The light works well and it lasts a long time between charges. The negative thing about it is the quality of the mounting bracket is in my opinion poor but then it's not fallen off my bike so I suppose it does the job but the bracket just doesn't feel very sturdy.

If you're after a light to be seen with then the lights from this company, who I think are based in Northern Ireland, do a good job.

http://seesense.co

I'm sure that there's already loads of advise on this forum about lights, such as from the link posted above, from people have way more knowledge than me and have also tried more lights than me but I just thought I'd mention the ones that I have used and have been impressed with.

Good luck finding the right ones for you.

John

I'd like to be seen, are Moonshine good lights? :)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It's unfortunate that one of your first posts on this forum has become such a technical debate. I hope it doesn't discourage you. I'll break the serious discussion by saying a big

Welcome to the forum! :D

Down to business. I'm sure that the lights you are enquiring about produce enough light to be seen by. In fact they are probably overkill for that situation. Extra light is needed for unlit roads but not for being seen. Perhaps surprisingly a light doesn't have to be too bright to be visible. The bigger problems are that a single light is liable to be obscured and that a driver seeing one light amongst many may not realise that one belongs to a cyclist.

My preference (and recommendation to you) is to save a bit of money by going for a less powerful front light which might bring benefits in terms of runtime whilst also being easier to use without dazzling others. I'd partner it with a second light to lessen the chance of your lights being obscured from the driver's vision. I'd make the second one a flashing light to tell drivers "I'm a bike". Again this needn't be overly expensive or powerful - in fact bright flashing lights can be a menace. Flashing lights don't need a lot of power to be conspicuous. FWIW I also use 2 light (1 steady one flashing) on the back for the same reasons.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Hi AuraTodd,

My apologies because I've never used a Moonshine light so I'm not sure about them although somebody else who has used them may post some advice/feedback for you.

Following from the message by Bicycler it also seems like a good idea to me to have two lights because if you're using either of battery or rechargeable lights then if you have two lights then it helps guard against the situation where a battery/lights charge goes part way through a ride. If you have two lights then should one go out then at least there is still another light working.

Good luck finding the right lights for you.

John
AuraTodd

Post by AuraTodd »

It's unfortunate that one of your first posts on this forum has become such a technical debate.

Hi It was a bit overwhelming to read. Thanks for welcoming me to the site. I notices the 500 lumen Is selling quicker then the 300 so I am tempted by that.

:)
meic

Post by meic »

Isnt that just a symptom of an ongoing lighting "armsrace"?

On twisty and straight Welsh lanes I can match or exceed my daytime speeds using an original Ixon IQ, it is also adequate enough to get motorvehicles to dip for me but seldom enough to make them flash me in retaliation. Though I am mostly riding on roads that I have ridden on before and hold no unexpected twists.

I recently met one of my own CTC group on the Clyne cycle path at night and their light was so offensive I was left blinded and cursing for minutes afterward, it really isnt necessary. The Ixon IQ was fine along that path and went onto low power when ever I had somebody ahead of me.
The only reason I could have for a brighter light would be to retaliate against those who had dazzling lights pointed in my direction and that just escalates the arms race.

I was pretty relaxed about other peoples' lights as I normally have the roads to myself but if people keep buying dazzling lights they will (rightly) have us subjected to regulations about it and those regulations will probably not be very good at all.
Yma o Hyd
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

We are subject to regulations, or at least our lights are, and those regs are not very good. Their not-very-goodness is one of the reasons that so few lights comply with them.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Arguable. Some of the lights conforming to the German standards show what can be done under the regulations. The B&M IQs are as good as anything. Those standards could be used in order to manufacture legal lights for sale in the UK but there just isn't any incentive. If you're intending to sell stuff in the UK why would you bother complying with rules which are never enforced and most people are ignorant of. Even if you look back at Cateye's early-2000s LED lights using the BS standard, they were as good as their non-compliant competitors at the time. The problem wasn't rubbish lights. Retailer (and thus customer) apathy meant that the effort and expense wasn't justified in terms of sales.
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

It's also arguable that the German regulations started off wrong-headed. They assumed that the main concern with riding at night was seeing your path. But many would say that the main concern is being seen. I would bet that most night cycling takes place on streets with some degree of lighting.

Does StVZO even specify a minimum lux figure above the cutoff?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Comparison of BS6102/3 with StVZO here.

More NOS BS lamps on ebay.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
hamish

Post by hamish »

For road use I have a B&M Ixon Core. It's very good and has a responsible shape beam. I got a bit of condensation in the lens in very heavy rain but it soon disappeared. It seems like good value. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-ixon-core-iq2-usb-front-light-prod33676/

For off road and difficult country lanes I use an Exposure Joystick. It's fantastic. a superb bikepacking light.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I wouldn't have any rechargeable lights. You can get perfectly good LED lights which run on 2/3 AAA batteries and give excellent lighting for town or country nighttime cycling for less than £10 the lot. The added advantage being you can carry a few spare batteries so your lights will never leave you stranded. Also the batteries last ages and are extremely cheap from Aldi etc.

Also these rechargeable ones are unnecessarily bright and should only be used in off-road areas in my opinion as they seriously dazzle other road users.