bike builder

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
phil parker

Re: bike builder

Post by phil parker »

ame wrote:Hello bikers

Anyway this is where I am now.Going to sell the bike and get a proper touring bike that fits me.Has anybody got or know anyone who has a bike from Thorn

Anne Marie

There are 3 things to consider: one, is the bike fit for you; two, is the purpose you will be using it for; three, the type and make of bike you want and is best for you.

If you want a a Thorn, great choice, they are great bikes (I have a Thorn Exp), they do custom and off the shelf. If that's where you want to go, I would advise speaking to them about all 3 of the above points. They might be able to offer you off the shelf for you want or you might prefer custom for slightly different reasons. I have a custom Roberts and it's the best choice I ever made. I now have a few bikes because there is no one-fits-all solution and that's why they will also need to know your most likely purpose for riding the bike.
I doubt you will hear a bad word about Thorn!
ame

Post by ame »

Thanks Phil

I will look into all this

Anne Marie
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

try "fahrahmanufactur" (spelling?)

a few shops in uk stock them. tremendous range of bikes, seem very well made and good value
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

People who have Thorns love them,that says a lot, but they are very expensive for what they are, you wont pay a lot more for proper custom

nothing wrong with 26" mtb wheels for a tourer, more in proportion to your size, and tyres available everyewhere. Thin road tyres too. Thorn, orbit, fahhrad all cater for this, so will others
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The main reason for 26in wheel size are a stronger wheel build,which isn't usually necessary within Europe unless you are planning serious off roading.For a small rider there's less chance of toe overlap which is important for a tourer IMHO.
If you can get a bike without toe overlap with 700c wheels I'd go for it if it meets all other criteria.
If you have a bike fit and have your measurements I'd look at in no order of preference:-
Surly;Cross Check or Long Haul Trucker or Disc Trucker
Spa's own Tourer or Rough Stuff bikes
Hewitt Cheviot SE
Salsa Vaya
If you live in the Manchester area,Geoff Smith Cycles in Bolton builds to order his own name tourers which are exactly the same frame as Hewitt's

You don't say if you want drops or straight handlebars.
But component wise I wouldn't go lower than Shimano Deore spec with a triple front chainset perhaps 22/32/42 toothed rings and a wide range rear cassette say 11-34t to give you loowww gearing for loaded touring.Deore V brakes or if using discs Avid BB7.
I would prefer good hand built wheels,with 36spokes,strong rims(Mavic 719's or Rigida Sputniks,though the Sputniks could be on the heavy side ) and Deore or Deore LX hubs,if disc brakes are used Shimano XT M756 hubs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden