Can I swap an Ultegra SS for a Sora GS cage derailleur?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Kiwimike

Can I swap an Ultegra SS for a Sora GS cage derailleur?

Post by Kiwimike »

A friend needs more cogs for a Welsh trip - He has 6800 Ultegra GS with 11-28, and wants to borrow my 11-32 cassette.

At 11-32 + 34-50 that's 37, which is 4 more than the Ultegra GS is rate for at 33.

Firstly: how likely is this to work without dropping the chain in small/small (I know, you shouldn't use it)

Secondly: I have a new Sora GS mech - will this play nicely wit the 11-speed Ultegra shifters & cogset?

Cheers

Mike
Brucey

Re: Can I swap an Ultegra SS for a Sora GS cage derailleur?

Post by Brucey »

11s ultegra has a different shift ratio to 10s and lower (road) and 9s and lower (MTB), so no, it won't play well. Not unless you use friction shifters....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kiwimike

Post by Kiwimike »

Thanks Brucey!

Before I try, how likely is a SS mech to Not Work if I give it enough chain to feed a 32->50 combo? Will problems only arise when it runs out of take-up in small-small?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is best if you leave enough chain that you can safely engage the large-large combination, then let it run slack in the small-small combination, and avoid using that one. Probably the total capacity is nearer 34 than 33 (they are nearly always conservative) so you will be running slack on the smallest two or three sprockets on the small chainring. If this happens normally there is a bad noise before anything else so you can use this kind of setup provided you are even a little mindful of what you are doing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kiwimike

Post by Kiwimike »

Yep, that was what I figured. Thanks!