SA XRD3 overhaul issues

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PT1029

SA XRD3 overhaul issues

Post by PT1029 »

I have been overhauling 2 SA XRD3 hubs, both not spoked into a wheel.
Did 1st hub, replaced a pawl and spring or 2, reassembled with relevant/correct grease(s), no problem. Hub seems to work fine in vice (hub not in a rim), ie, 3 gears when toggle chain pulled by hand, axle smooth/tad of play, ditto for sprocket bearing (adjusted as per Mr Sheldon B), freewheels freely when in 3rd,
Did 2nd hub, replaced pawl or 3 + spring + ball ring (HSA 584) - collateral damage (slight wear) I suspect from broken gear ring pawl. On its own (ie innerds not attached), ball ring screws into hub pretty much fully using fingers only. When hub is assembled, ball ring screws in until about 1 - 2 mm proud then screws in no more. Can't for the life of me work out why it doesn't go in. I tried gripping the flange in the vice and tapping the ball ring round (hammer and punch), wouldn't go in any further (but came out OK after tapping the other way). After the hammer and punch attempt, no signs of distressed LH pawls or anything else inside.
Any offers as to the cause?
Brucey

Re: SA XRD3 overhaul issues

Post by Brucey »

by any chance have you mixed up the parts between one hub and the other? If so (or if done badly) an internal can build up to a longer assembled length and then it won't go into the hubshell without trouble.

BTW you may or may not have noticed a slight relief on the low gear pawls, or a variation in the amount that the low gear pawls protrude from the internal. In this hub any excess protrusion of the low gear pawls may inhibit assembly of the internal, To overcome this you can try rotating the internal as you assemble the hub, or you can assemble the internal in situ, which allows the low gear pawls to be assembled correctly before the ring gear etc are put into position.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Brucey,
no I didn't get my parts mixed up between the hubs (having 3 hubs with different faults in each, I was careful to keep them separate!). I got the SA part number from the Sturmey Archer website (Taiwanese SA, I ignored the photo of the Summit XRD3 hub paper instructions I also found!).
The diagram/parts listed for the XRD3 hub (70 mm brake drum) is titled XLRD3 (90mm brake drum). The ball rings for these 2 hubs are infact different (one is deeper/longer than the other).
If you need to check,
I looked up the XRD3 and XL RD3 on the SA web site products page,
XRD3 :- http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/x-rd3, from this page clicking on "parts list" gives http://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/cat ... 0X-RD3.pdf,
but the title at the top of the page is " XL-RD3 A0 Three Speed Hub with Drum Brake"

XLRD3 :- http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/xl-rd3, from this page clicking on "parts list" gives http://www.sturmey-archer.com/files/cat ... XL-RD3.pdf,
the title of this page is "Part List: XL-RD3 A0 Three Speed Hub with Drum Brake"

The UK distrubutor (Cycle division) has told SA of the error.
I now have the correct bits, hopefully they will all go together and you will hear no more from me on this subject!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well at least that makes some kind of sense; I have previously noted that the ball-rings are slightly different between versions of hubs that ought to be basically similar (hence my query about mixing up parts) but it looks like you have found a whole nest of reasons why this can occur!

Hopefully your internals will work OK now. If you have the chance to photograph the difference in the parts it might help others.

BTW I have had similar issues with 5s internals that vary slightly. Because they look so similar otherwise, I have taken to vibro-etching a unique mark on each axle, and then keeping notes about each internal's build length.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~