slime

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tyreon

slime

Post by tyreon »

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered. I have looked but can't find just what I am looking for.

My problem: I now have hub gearing and brakes on a bike I now own. I have yet to have a puncture in its rear wheel,but do not look forward to changing tyre,tube: never changed tyre/tube on such a set up. Sure I can do it...in my garage,given time. Dread doing it first time out on the road!! So...I am looking into introducing slime in the rear wheel. I have shraeder valves.

I know I can buy pre-filled slime inner tubes,but I could introduce slime into the rear tyre as it is. No great difficulty,yes?

I have read previous comments about the weight of slime,and it affecting balance,wheel rotation. I 'know' there is a recommended amount that should go into the inner tube. But 'why the "excessive" amount? Surely if I put in an amount the size of x2 of my thumbnails this would be spinning around in the inner tube and would then be enough of the magic-stuff to seal any hole. I get the impression(haven't bought the stuff yet)that I put into the inner tube 250+mls of the stuff. Why?

Apologies for going over old ground,if I have
mjr

Re: slime

Post by mjr »

I've used one of those after-you-puncture slime cannisters from Aldi. Worked OK for a while, then I had to patch it. I patched it without removing the whole wheel, as shown in this video:

[youtube]pz33ozlTvdo[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz33ozlTvdo

It's fairly easy to remove a SA hub gear rear wheel, but Shimano ones have extra bolts to remove. :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gregoryoftours

Re: slime

Post by gregoryoftours »

Presumably it needs that amount to keep a decent thickness of slime over as much of the inner surface area of the tube as possible. 2 thumbnails worth would be spreading it very thinly, plus I'm not sure if it's a bit too viscous to spread that amount very thinly. You probably know this already but make sure you remove the schraeder valve core before pumping the stuff in.