Flat pedals which ones?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tacascarow

Flat pedals which ones?

Post by Tacascarow »

My riding can sometimes go off piste & even clips & straps can get in the way at times.
As I've now got an annoying click in one of the cheap pedals that came with my bike when new I thought I would upgrade to something that I can maintain (replace bearings, grease etc) but at the same time wont cost the earth.
Any recommendations?
:D
simonineaston

Re: Flat pedals which ones?

Post by simonineaston »

I like Wellgo Magnesium - the small allan-headed bolts help the foot stay in one place, v. light, smooth and not expensive either!
Wellgo Magnesium peddle
Wellgo Magnesium peddle
51SBx-SZ-4L._SX300_.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 »

I use Shimano A530 - flat one side, SPD clips the other side so they do me for any situation. Nice big flat area so they are comfortable on a long ride. They are currently under £30 from various online retailers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm a big fan of big rubber grips. I like Wellgo LU 868 which can have its bearings maintained and Raleigh Leisure which can't as far as I can tell. My Vavert Leisure/Commuter pedals have been fairly good but much of the rubber has worn down and I've not tried to service the bearings yet (plastic-only clones like BBB BPD-41 are available too). I've some nice Union ones on the Dutchie Dapper but didn't find them online and haven't used them long yet.

If you want metal grips, I feel MKS Lambdas seem better than ones with pins, if you don't mind the size.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 »

Oh, I forgot to say- I have never bothered to maintain my A530s, but they are still going strong despite riding through winter floods.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

Thanks folks.
Has anyone any experience of DMR pedals? Particularly the V8 & V12.
I like the fact they have loose bearings & also a grease port.
barrym

Post by barrym »

I have some V8s. Probably 4 years old now. Greased them once, still smooth as silk. Probably 10k on them. IIRC you need a special tool to get at the bearings. Maybe wrong.
--
Cheers
Barry
Heltor Chasca

Flat pedals which ones?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Tacascarow wrote:Thanks folks.
Has anyone any experience of DMR pedals? Particularly the V8 & V12.
I like the fact they have loose bearings & also a grease port.

I've got 2 pairs. Very happy. The supplied in the box grease is insufficient in quantity by miles so chuck it and fill up with your own...b
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I've two pairs of DMR 8. Bought both sets secondhand from fleabay. On purchase I've regressed them and never had to touch them again.
They hold the foot firmly. To reposition the foot I've to lift foot up away from the studs. You just can't slide your foot around on the pedal, or at least with my shoes.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
in4time

Post by in4time »

+1 for the DMR V8"s. I returned to these after using some dual-sided Shimanos and find them very comfortable with a broad platform and extrusions that keep the foot in place. You can regrease them via the regreasing hole; use a very small allen key to open it.
timdownieuk

Post by timdownieuk »

simonineaston wrote:I like Wellgo Magnesium - the small allan-headed bolts help the foot stay in one place, v. light, smooth and not expensive either!
51SBx-SZ-4L._SX300_.jpg

But absolutely excellent at raking skin off down to the bone on your shins! ;-)

Tim
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

DMR V12s and several wellgo models are fitted with a lightweight (but wear-prone and friction-inducing) bearing system that uses an inboard bushing and an outboard cartridge bearing (that is usually too weak for the intended loads). The cheeky blighters that sell these pedals often describe them as having 'sealed bearings' which is taking liberties IMHO.

I would be interested to compile a list of pedals which have these crummy bearings so that they don't inadvertently recommend them to others.

What is there inside wellgo magnesium pedals....?

(BTW V8s have adjustable ball bearings which is simple and reliable)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

timdownieuk wrote:
simonineaston wrote:I like Wellgo Magnesium - the small allan-headed bolts help the foot stay in one place, v. light, smooth and not expensive either!
51SBx-SZ-4L._SX300_.jpg

But absolutely excellent at raking skin off down to the bone on your shins! ;-)

Tim

I do that now with ordinary pedals & toe clips so it wont make much difference.
After all those pluses for the V8 I think that's the way I'll go.
Thanks again for all of your advice.
:D