Parts do pick their moments...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
karlt

Parts do pick their moments...

Post by karlt »

...Flagg Challenge ride for Ashgate Hospice. 50 miles. 4000' of ascent (conservative estimate). What fails about 16 miles in, just at the bottom of the first really nasty hill? The front shifter. Decides it just isn't going to actually release when I shift from middle to inner ring.

I'm choosing to believe that ascending 10-15% slopes on a lowest available ratio of 39/26 is good for the soul...
Brucey

Re: Parts do pick their moments...

Post by Brucey »

STI...? Often there is one pawl that goes sticky, so perhaps try some spray lube as a penance....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Give it a kick! That's how the pros do it, I saw it in the TdF [emoji1]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

That's what the heel of your shoe is for! I did a sportive that I had to unclip and help the front mech over before each climb. It's less than ideal but the mech can get sticky if not used over its full range.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
karlt

Post by karlt »

Wouldn't be forced; tried. Shifter stuck in middle position; cable taught. Definitely not the mech itself; that happily went onto the small ring if you undid the barrel adjuster enough or released the cable.

I've put some spray lube on so I'll give it some time to penetrate and see what happens.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

stupid thought; if it is a triple STI are you 100% sure that you are not using clicks 1 & 2 instead of clicks 2 & 3? The sticky pawl syndrome I refer to often stops engagement of click #3, or the cable could have slipped or something?

cheers
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:STI...? Often there is one pawl that goes sticky, so perhaps try some spray lube as a penance....

cheers

............or change to friction down-tube levers.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Paulatic wrote:Give it a kick! That's how the pros do it, I saw it in the TdF

Haha I've done this in the past but kept quiet thinking it wasn't the done thing :)
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Paulatic wrote:Give it a kick! That's how the pros do it, I saw it in the TdF [emoji1]

I wonder if Romain Bardet was on the SRAM wireless electronic or mechanical at the time.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bardet was riding the mechanical gruppo, I thought from the TV coverage. This page

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/pro-bike-romain-bardets-tour-de-france-focus-izalco-max-44858/

appears to confirm that. SRAM's track record with front mechs in the tour ain't exactly great....

cheers
pwa

Post by pwa »

Of course the main drawback with kicking the front mech to get it to change is that you usually do it at the bottom of a steep hill, where you want both your feet pushing the pedals to keep you going.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bardot was trying to get the mech away from the crank - kicking it at 40-50mph....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

And then his chain seemingly became stuck on the small chainring on what was a long descent.
I should coco.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I was assuming he left it there to save flouting the crank every rev
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:Bardet was riding the mechanical gruppo, I thought from the TV coverage......................

I never knew Bridgette Bardot rode a bike.................... :lol: :lol: :lol: