Rear brake recommendation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jockster

Rear brake recommendation

Post by Jockster »

Hi,

Looking for a recommendation for a rear brake. I have a 1980'S tourer with 700cc wheels, rigida sputnik rims, 32mm tyres, mudgards and currently have canti rear brake.

I am not happy with the canti brake as it is 1) not very powerful and 2) I have an inability to set it up properly.

Could anyone give me a recommendation for a new rear brake that is 1) reasonably powerful, 2) Easy to set up correctly (and stays set up), 3) is wide/long enough to cope with tyre/rim/mudguards on my tourer.

Many thanks, Simon
fatboy

Re: Rear brake recommendation

Post by fatboy »

Do you use sti brifters? If you don't then your answer may be to go to v brakes and v brake levers. If not your options are to stick with cantis but pay attention to cable runs, pads etc, or see if you can fit deep drop caliper brakes.

I had dodgy brakes on my tourer and fitted Suntour self energising cantis but these are odd to set up but they are dirt cheap from sjs and quite poweful. I now have two tourers and one runs Tektro Oryx but using continuous outer which improves the cable run and hence the brakes are much better.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if your front brake works OK and your (presumably similar) rear doesn't work that well, there would have to be a reason for that, and it should be a problem that you can solve, too.

If you can say what your setup is exactly, perhaps someone can help.

BTW no brake mounted on canti bosses 'stays set up' per se, but some are better than others.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Brucey wrote:if your front brake works OK and your (presumably similar) rear doesn't work that well, there would have to be a reason for that, ....

Yes, quite so! :mrgreen:

Brucey wrote:BTW no brake mounted on canti bosses 'stays set up' per se,.......

XT parallel-push Vee brake runs it pretty close......All I do in between sliding new blocks into the holders is adjust the cables.....although on another thread, even slipping in new blocks appears to be a problem....