Advice sought on seat tube dent

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gerrymcm

Advice sought on seat tube dent

Post by gerrymcm »

I'm fixing up an old bike, well frame to be exact.
I just noticed there's a small dent in the seat tube and thought I could fashion 'something' to force it back out.
I have a old seat post of the correct size and thought I'd cut a couple slots in lengthways to allow it to expand and use some studding and a wedge to expand inside the seat tube at exactly the right point.

Do folk think this would work or can people suggest some simpler?

I should add it's quite a nice frame although cosmetically challenged and in time I'll get it sprayed and decals etc.

Thanks
Gerry
Swallow

Re: Advice sought on seat tube dent

Post by Swallow »

If it's a small dent and it does not compromise the strength of the frame, then why not use car body filler. You say you are going to paint the frame anyway so should not be noticeable when finished
'Kernow bys Vyken'
PH

Post by PH »

If you're getting it sprayed at a frame builders, they can probably fill the dent with brass for you, Mercian charge £15 for this. If this is what they do I doubt there's an easy repair as an alternative.
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

I have to be honest and say it's barely noticable so both methods mentioned would definitely work however as it's accessible I thought why not try.
Brass filler, whilst it would work, I assumed was for tubes that are inaccessible.

There are frame block which are squeezed around the tube and worked back and forth under pressure which "round" the tube but they're expensive so not for one off jobs.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the dent is not too deep and the steel is thin and reasonably strong, you can often push something (about 1mm smaller diameter than the tube ID, to act as a mandrel) alongside the dent, and then after a few smart taps with a soft hammer, the tube will accept a larger mandrel, and so on.

For mandrels, I find that a collection of 1/2" drive sockets often yields something about the right OD for this kind of job. Just don't push it right past the dent and get it stuck inside the tube.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Brucey, that's a good idea.
If I use a socket I could probably attach it to some studding so as not to leave it behind.

Good shout ta very much.
Gerry
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have to wonder if pushing the dent out, rather than filling it, might weaken the metal?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Rhothgar

Post by Rhothgar »

What about asking one of those dent men for cars?

If you take it to them I doubt they would charge you a tenner?

No paint repair also if the paint is not chipped. If it is chipped, however, they probably wouldn't be able to do it because they rely on light and parallel lines usually.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a small dent or two in the top tube. The frame is nearly 30 years old.
531c

The top tube is blanked off completely at the head tube and at the seat tube, so there's no way in at all.

Been like this for years.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I'm not telling anyone else what to do.............but what I'd do, in the same circumstances, would be to take the frame to a framebuilder for re-spraying and ask him to sort the dent out. I'd also ask him to check the frame for tracking and the rear dropouts for being parallel.

That's just me though - what I'd do.