Rear view radar for your bike - whatever next?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andrew_s

Rear view radar for your bike - whatever next?

Post by andrew_s »

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sp ... 18151.html

I can't see it as being useful, myself.
I can make a good judgement of distance and closing speed using my ears, and what I'd be interested in is whether the approaching vehicle is far enough out from the edge of the road to miss me, and I don't think this thing will tell me that.
cjchambers

Re: Rear view radar for your bike - whatever next?

Post by cjchambers »

Pointless. A car approaching from the rear, even at high speed, is not inherently dangerous if the driver is planning a well-executed and courteous overtake. To really work, the device would need a mind reading device too. It's also victim blaming nonsense, shifting the burden of avoiding an accident from the driver onto the cyclist.

Besides, two thirds of KSIs occur at junctions and the most common of these involve cars and bicycles turning across one another (see eg. TRL Report PPR 445). It follows that cyclists should be most concerned about being hit from the front or side, not the rear. Luckily there's a lot more you can do to control the situation in front of you, without spending $299.00.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I am looking forward to seeing what happens when this goes to market. Judging from the hundreds of sceptical reactions I have seen since Garmin announced it a few weeks ago, it will be either a spectacular flop or a big success.

In my opinion, even if this particular "first edition" is a total pile of crap, technology along these lines has the potential to make a big difference to on-road safety, but it might take another 50 years.

Accident statistics are very hard to take seriously, there is too much bias in them.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ah a use for microsofts hololens that superimposes images on your view like u see in terminator movies. great I must have one of those then. but must be 360 degrees :roll: