Rust proof bolts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Rust proof bolts

Post by Brucey »

I wouldn't say 'no go' but you are not replacing like with like exactly, so it is as well to think about it and to check how the parts fit together. Damage and actual breakages from using the wrong hardware, (or the right hardware wrongly) are not that uncommon; resultant accidents less so, fortunately.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Ok, so not too sensible then <sigh> Will have a closer look at those stem bolts.

I've noticed that the washer diameter corresponds to the diameter of the head of a cap head of the next bolt size up, ie, M5 washer is the same diameter as an M6 bolt head. Is there any way of drilling the washer out to accept the larger bolt shank?

Otherwise, I recall andrewjoseph upthread, linking a company dealing in Ti hardware. Their bolts can be spec'd with integral washers. I think it could cost £15 or more per stem to upgrade.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Is nobody else going to admit to replacing their stem bolts with SS, with or without washers? :twisted: :wink:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've done that myself, but that is not to say that it is invariably a good idea.

cheers
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Brucey, as mentioned above, have you (or anybody else FTM) have any ideas about safely drilling out undersized washers?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

drilling washers? -a ghastly job; they are almost impossible to hold properly.

If you want an ersatz washer to fit under the head of a standard caphead (NB a lot of stem bolts are fractionally smaller than this) you can often use a matching stainless spring washer. This still won't match the original spec but it might well be as close as you will get.

cheers
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Brucey wrote:drilling washers? -a ghastly job; they are almost impossible to hold properly.
Yes, I thought it would probably be difficult. I wonder whether clamping a stack of them in mole grips might give some stability, then clamp the mole grips and drill. Would need to be a good drill, such as a pillar drill, which I don't have.
If you want an ersatz washer to fit under the head of a standard caphead (NB a lot of stem bolts are fractionally smaller than this) you can often use a matching stainless spring washer. This still won't match the original spec but it might well be as close as you will get.
Seems like a reasonable idea to me.