Is My Local Bike Shop Ripping Me Off?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Rhothgar

Re: Is My Local Bike Shop Ripping Me Off?

Post by Rhothgar »

I have a fair bit of kit myself for doing my own work but that didn't stop me from joining Nottingham Bike Works which is a Community Initiative Charity - at least that is what I think CIC stands for.

They charge an annual subscription (as I was one of the first 100 to sign up it only cost me £10 - hereonin £20) and it is £5 an hour to use their stands and tools. It's a well laid out place.

I went for the first time the other week to use a BB reamer to clean my BB threads up as the old worn-out BB was almost welded in. I also used a derailleur alignment gauge, a wheel truing stand and bought a couple of cheap used parts from them and a new brake cable.

Great service and very useful (if you live in Nottingham).
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Rhothgar wrote:I have a fair bit of kit myself for doing my own work but that didn't stop me from joining Nottingham Bike Works which is a Community Initiative Charity - at least that is what I think CIC stands for.

They charge an annual subscription (as I was one of the first 100 to sign up it only cost me £10 - hereonin £20) and it is £5 an hour to use their stands and tools. It's a well laid out place.

I went for the first time the other week to use a BB reamer to clean my BB threads up as the old worn-out BB was almost welded in. I also used a derailleur alignment gauge, a wheel truing stand and bought a couple of cheap used parts from them and a new brake cable.

Great service and very useful (if you live in Nottingham).

I work at an organisation in Sheffield that provides a similar service, along with other stuff. Costs £4 per hour to rent the shop quality workstands and tools, then £2 per extra half hour. You do the work but there are always qualified mechanics around to give you guidance if you're not sure. PLUG!!!

http://www.sheffieldcycleboost.org/bike-kitchen/
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ferdinand wrote:
Rhothgar wrote:Of course, it could also be dependant on where you are in the country. If you are London based, you are surely going to be charged more than say the Midlands.

As a matter of interest, where are you based?

I've just joined a local community bike initiative where you can do courses and learn to do your own spannering. The charge £5 an hour for loan of stand and tools and free expert advice!

Midlands :lol:

I'd be interested in the numbers excluding overheads. Here overheads are low.

Say £15-20 an hour is comfortably above average income for the UK.

F

But income has to be taken after the shop overheads, and AFTER all the employers tax requirements.
To pay someone an amount generally costs the company about twice that.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.