Garmin Edge 200

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
landsurfer

Garmin Edge 200

Post by landsurfer »

Just received one as a birthday present.
Is it any good?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Spinners

Re: Garmin Edge 200

Post by Spinners »

Depends what you want it for.

I've got one and thinks it's great but I use it as a bike computer really and for Strava. I've never tried using it for routes and for navigation I'd go for a more sophisticated model.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

landsurfer wrote:Just received one as a birthday present.
Is it any good?

Good for/at what?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It is substantially simpler than other Garmin units: it has fewer data fields and less customisation, not to mention no mapping (though map support only appears on much more expensive units).

If you only use it as a cyclo-computer it is overpriced. But it’s easy to set up or switch between bicycles, since it doesn’t need a wheel magnet.

However, in addition it offers GPS tracking of your rides. To use that feature you would have to sign up with a suitable website (e.g. Strava, Ride with GPS, etc.) or download appropriate computer software.

Not everyone wants to record, analyse, and compare their rides in this way – but if you do, the Edge 200 is a relatively simple and affordable way to do it.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

If you've been given one for a present that's great. I've had one for 3 years now and I have found that it has increased my enjoyment of cycling. You can upload your rides onto the garmin website and keep track of the routes mileage, average speeds etc. I use it sometimes to navigate, you have to prepare the route then load from the PC, but it's been great at helping me cycle to new places around where I live.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I love mine and find it easy to operate, but I bought my wife one and she struggles with the different buttons required to navigate through the various screens. She can never remember which buttons to press and can't read the small text on the screen. I find it good for recording ride stats and uploading rides onto Garmin Connect and Strava. I have another Garmin (705) with maps, which is better for use as a sat-nav.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
robgul

Post by robgul »

If you pay the right price it's brilliant as a bike computer - no magnet, no wires, no tyre size calibration - extra mounts mean it can be moved from bike to bike. 100% reliable (OK going fast downhill in tree covered roads or tunnels will give a blip on the satellites) Highest speed I've recorded on my 200 was 185mph .. on Eurostar :D

The "save" feature for recorded rides lets you transfer to online services and mapping - loading a pre-plotted .gpx file to a 200 provides a rudimentary "arrow and line" mapping facility that's OK for basic rides.

I've had my 200 a couple of years and use that for almost every ride - I also have an Edge Touring that I use with the OS and other mapping with route plots for ... err ... touring.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker