Aldi wired bike computer -

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
al_yrpal

Aldi wired bike computer -

Post by al_yrpal »

… now tells you how much CO² you saved compared with the same journey in your car. This little baby costs £3.50 , it has a three year warranty and here is the amazing list of functions… .

Available in stores now. Couldnt resist it :lol:

Al

(Something for Horizon and green minded folk)
Attachments
rps20150630_200523_736.jpg
rps20150630_200523_736.jpg (5.72 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
bikecomp.jpg
bikecomp.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cycleruk

Re: Aldi wired bike computer -

Post by cycleruk »

What is "speed tendency" ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

cycleruk wrote:What is "speed tendency" ?

I've got an old Cat Eye computer which has a little arrow which points up if your average speed for the trip is rising or down if it is falling.

Maybe it is that.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

All three current bikes have ALDI wired computers on them. They have proved accurate and reliable in the three to four years they have been on the bikes. Far more reliable than the more expensive ones I had before. :D
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

I have had one for a couple of years, great piece of kit, I must smear a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts, rain can upset it and the screen can mist up, I bought another.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

blackbike wrote:
cycleruk wrote:What is "speed tendency" ?

I've got an old Cat Eye computer which has a little arrow which points up if your average speed for the trip is rising or down if it is falling.

Maybe it is that.

That's basically it. If you're current speed is greater than your average (since last reset), it points up, and vice versa. Amounts to the same thing.

I've had several of these and they're great. Eventually they break, but it's often my fault, or get nicked (why? why do you want a bike computer sans mount and sensor?). Every time Aldi have them, I buy one or two so I always have a spare.

More functionality than branded models several times the price. I don't use the CO2 equivalent or calories, etc. but temperature is nice, as is a clock, which I'm not sure all the cheaper ones have.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:… now tells you how much CO² you saved compared with the same journey in your car. This little baby costs £3.50 , it has a three year warranty and here is the amazing list of functions… .

Available in stores now. Couldnt resist it :lol:

Al

(Something for Horizon and green minded folk)

does it tell u the decrease in world temperature due to your exertion though? that I would regard as a necessity. Would also like a cost saving in petrol and running costs.

It isnt a new idea, Asus the pc componet maker used to include a utility with its mother boards that allowed u to tune the motherboard and save power - did the same trick, told u how much grms of CO2 you had saved
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anyone got the ALDI wireless computer? Any good?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, I have two Aldi wireless bike computers they came with heart monitors too. Had them about 4 years and still going strong. I think I paid £12.99

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
DCLXVI

Post by DCLXVI »

Yes, I bought a wireless model after they were mentioned on this forum a couple of weeks back. Looks to be similar to the non-wireless in functionality but it does overread speed from time to time, perhaps adding an inaccurate few % to the distance. A little annoying!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

DCLXVI wrote:Yes, I bought a wireless model after they were mentioned on this forum a couple of weeks back. Looks to be similar to the non-wireless in functionality but it does overread speed from time to time, perhaps adding an inaccurate few % to the distance. A little annoying!

Just check your wheel circumference by the rolling test with chalk marks. If its still wrong just input a slightly different circumference to correct it.

Al
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I could never find any chalk but used to use a blob of Tipex on the tyre and pedal away. Left nice white blobs, easy to measure, on the Tarmac

In my Aldi yesterday the computers are reduced and GT85 is back in @£1:99. I'm stocked up for another year.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
DCLXVI

Post by DCLXVI »

al_yrpal wrote:
DCLXVI wrote:Yes, I bought a wireless model after they were mentioned on this forum a couple of weeks back. Looks to be similar to the non-wireless in functionality but it does overread speed from time to time, perhaps adding an inaccurate few % to the distance. A little annoying!

Just check your wheel circumference by the rolling test with chalk marks. If its still wrong just input a slightly different circumference to correct it.

Al

I wish it was consistent then I would do that. Unfortunately it seems like one of those which is somewhat prone to interference. I certainly haven't exceeded 70MPH for a while, or ever! I will attempt to not switch it on for a while to correct what I know is an exaggerated distance. Can check it on the Feeder in Bristol where I know it's a mile from Avon Road to Netham Bridge, flat and fairly straight.
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

At my local Aldi the wireless jobs were down to £6, the big clunky steel lock was £ 6 too.
I picked up another cable lock and was promptly ejected from the store for trying on the lycra shorts :wink: