Grippy tape for handlebar accessories

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
The fat commuter

Grippy tape for handlebar accessories

Post by The fat commuter »

Is there a tape or something that you can wrap around handlebars to stop fittings from moving?

I have an Exposure front light - similar to this one: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-race-m ... 60674491uk

It is fitted with the silicon spacer but it still moves about when I go over bumps - of which there are loads in Sheffield. I could just do with something to make the handlebar diameter thicker but is also a little bit 'grippy'. A few winds of insulation tape would add some width but that is quite smooth.

Anyone any ideas?
AndyHenderson

Re: Grippy tape for handlebar accessories

Post by AndyHenderson »

I use handlebar tape off-cuts where I can (it's a lot thicker than insulating tape!). Nice and grippy.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I suspect at least 50% of us are solving this with a piece of old inner tube. My bikes would rattle to bits without it :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

You could try double sided mounting tape - it's foam and very sticky both sides. Bit of a pain to clean off! I've used it effectively in conjunction with zip ties to mount a rear light to my bike helmet. Available from some good pound stores!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I use the black sticky cloth tape which my daughter used to wrap the handle of her ice hockey stick... works a treat. Available from sports shops.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I use cohesive bandage. It's a sort of self-amalgating version of non-slip mat. It's not adhesive as such, but when it's stretched and pressed together it sticks fast. It was invented for bandaging cattle and horses, I believe, because it doesn't stick to fur, but it's so useful. I use it on my bars/stem for lights, light helmet mount, and wrapped around the bars of my pannier rack so stuff doesn't slip off. Great stuff.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I'm on the inner tube 50 % side.

Sticky tape can melt and slip around in the heat but if its thin then you might get away with it.

Off story, was searching for some cheap h/bar cloth tape and ended up buying some electricians cloth tape, a bit thin for bars but ok for those corners on bar / cow horn ends that are shiny and slippy on your gloves.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

PS You can buy in most high street chemists now - Boots/Superdrug - with the bandages.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Self-amalgamating tape e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-19mm-x-10m/87717?_requestid=199322 - other suppliers (such as your neighbourhood hardware store) are available :D
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hammer a nail through the clamp and into the bar. Especially if it's carbon fibre.
Brute force fixes everything.

Or a bit of old inner tube as mentioned. But that's only if you're posh.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I bought some self amalgamating rubber tape for another job (sealing the connectors when fitting a satellite dish to the house).

I find it lasts better than inner tube (which perishes quite rapidly when out in the open) and is also useful for making bumpers - wrapped round pannier rack to stop bits of pannier (Ortlieb bottom fixings) rattling against the rack, round brake and/or gear cables to prevent scuffing on frame.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Vantage wrote:Hammer a nail through the clamp and into the bar. Especially if it's carbon fibre.
Brute force fixes everything.

Or a bit of old inner tube as mentioned. But that's only if you're posh.

I thought, rather than brute force, I'd drill a pilot hole first - now that is posh!

Seriously though, I have tried an innertube before and found that the talc like lining meant that it wouldn't grip. Anyhow, borrowed another tube that was lying on the cycle shed floor at work and have used that. I must have put it the other way around this time as it''s done a great job. I'll see how it lasts when exposed to air and light - if it deteriorates too quickly I'll try some of that tape from Screwfix.

I'm just hoping that I've got the level of the light correct as it won't move. :lol: