Battery front lamp with fork crown mounting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rmurphy195

Battery front lamp with fork crown mounting

Post by rmurphy195 »

I want to retain the "clean" appearance of my tourer by not cluttering it up with dynamo/wires etc,

I am interested in a battery-operated front light that will mount onto the fork crown, where the dynamo lamp usually goes. (Rather than mounting a battery pack to power my existing dynamo lamp if possible)

I want a proper light to be able to see by, rather than a low-power "be seen" lamp.

Any ideas anyone? (I can find a rear mudguard mounting lamp easily enough!)

Many thanks - Richard

PS The idea is to have a lamp that's always on the bike like a dynamo lamp, so I don't have to keep taking it off for security when I pop into a shop/cafe local library!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cunobelin

Re: Battery front lamp with fork crown mounting

Post by Cunobelin »

The problem will be security.

Most battery lights are designed to be removed for battery change, therefore will be vulnerable to theft if left in situ

The B&M Ixon IQ series is exactly what you are looking for with a a fork crown mount:

However it will not be secure
beardy

Post by beardy »

You would need the longer stainless steel bracket if you have cantilever brakes.

It seems that the best answer to your problem is to rewire the dynamo light in a very careful and discrete way.

Though you could fit an Ixon after cutting off the mount's release lever, it would then only come off if torn or by undoing the mount's bolts. Some araldite or superglue could be added. They can still nick your batteries though.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Note that the Spaninga Luceo is only a 'be seen' light ... but I like it. And they can't be nicked.
Last edited by Valbrona on 28 Jun 2015, 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
I should coco.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Valbrona wrote:Note that the Spaninga Luceo is only a 'be sign' light ... but I like it. And they can't be nicked.

Just looked up Spanninga, and they do have a range of headlights some of which are battery powered - ta ever so for the lead
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !