Mounting a Tubus Tara on a Ridgeback Panorama - help sought!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jimstar79

Mounting a Tubus Tara on a Ridgeback Panorama - help sought!

Post by Jimstar79 »

Hi

I have just been mounting my Panorama with a Tubus Tara lowrider. I found that I was unable to align the carrier to the front eyelet on the bottom of the fork because I either wouldn't be able to fasten my wheel in place or the eyelet on the carrier wouldn't reach because the skewer is in the way.

I have ended up mounting the carrier to the same eyelet on the fork where the mudguards are attached. I am concerned because, had the carrier fitted in front of the wheel skewer, there were a small metal tubes (therefore strong) for the screws to pass through, instead it is now attached by pressing up against the plastic part of the mudguard fitting. I think this set up could be structurally unsound and may eventually break the mudguard fitting when fully loaded

My main question are, is it possible to fit the carrier to the eyelet in front of the wheel skewer, and, thus, use the small metal tubes and not rely on pressing up against the mudguard fastener; would the current set up, seen in the photos, be strong enough to support a loaded carrier? And, am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any advice or support you can give me!

Jamie
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
gaz

Re: Mounting a Tubus Tara on a Ridgeback Panorama - help sou

Post by gaz »

Mount the Tara as pictured but using the metal sleeve, not the mudguard secu-clip.

Mount the mudguard to the other fitting on the Tara.
Tubus..png

There's a similar set-up pictured in the fitting instructions: http://www.tubus.com/documents/1321272002_Tara.pdf
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Gaz - thank you, my man!

I am going to try that tomorrow morning and will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Jamie

PS: I can see it now on the instructions. It makes sense to me know - men and instructions, eh? I had them with me the whole time!!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Even the Tubus instructions are not quite right. In one picture they have the Tara mounted to a disc brake mount.....which is, of course impossible, unless you have a disc mount on each fork leg.
The other Tubus picture shows the Tara mounted to the dropout boss behind the front wheel axle.....I think this is correct.
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Hi guys,

OK I have successfully mounted the front rack thanks to Gaz's advice - here's a cyber pint on me!!

531colin:
"The other Tubus picture shows the Tara mounted to the dropout boss behind the front wheel axle.....I think this is correct."

You are 100% right about this!

Here's a couple of snapshots that may help someone in the future:

and a close-up:

Once again, thanks for your help,

Jamie
H. G. Wells quotes
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cheers.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Haha - that made me laugh - cheers, mate!
H. G. Wells quotes