Repairing cable ends

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Repairing cable ends

Post by Brucey »

the Rohloff issue is specific and sure enough it will have a specific solution.

However the issues around cable ends and pinch bolts are generic. There are various ways of dealing with the cable ends, different things work for different folk.

The pinch bolts are a different issue; I have often wondered why it appears that no pinch bolts are made whereby the pinch action is conferred via some kind of split collet instead of the usual cable-mangling nonsense. Perhaps it is very expensive to do it that way... any ideas anyone?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Brucey wrote:the Rohloff issue is specific and sure enough it will have a specific solution.

However the issues around cable ends and pinch bolts are generic. There are various ways of dealing with the cable ends, different things work for different folk.

The pinch bolts are a different issue; I have often wondered why it appears that no pinch bolts are made whereby the pinch action is conferred via some kind of split collet instead of the usual cable-mangling nonsense. Perhaps it is very expensive to do it that way... any ideas anyone?

cheers

That's right. There must be better solutions but no doubt price is the issue.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

some people can't get a cable pinch bolt right. collets and clamps and tiny grub screws are just asking for trouble!
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

This is sort of related - I find it quite hard to get the right clamping force on old canti straddle yokes - to get it tight enough that it doesn't slip seems to take a force that really mangles the cable, and it's way more likely so slip if you don't get it right the first time and have to adjust the yoke on the cable. That's one thing I like about the Shimano/Avid lollipop style arrangement, I'm much more confident clamping the cable on the caliper arm, it feels more definite and secure
beardy

Post by beardy »

I dont bother clamping mine any more. They always seem to self centre in use and if they dont then I just give them a little nudge and they then stay centred after the nudge.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think GoT means the sort where you have a pinch bolt in the yoke that, if not tightened, leaves you with no brakes!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~