Low rider rack slanted?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JordanEkland

Low rider rack slanted?

Post by JordanEkland »

Hi all,

I've been trying to get a front rack to fit my bike and haven't succeeded so far, but I managed to fit an axiom low rider today, but to make it fit I had to angle it quite a bit. Do you think it'll be okay once it's got some loaded bags on it? I don't really have time to test it as my bike is being picked up by a friend and driven to Holland tomorrow. Advice is welcome!
andrew_s

Re: Low rider rack slanted?

Post by andrew_s »

If it's too slanted, the pannier will try to swing down so that all the weight is on the uphill rail hook and the downhill hook lifts off the top rail.

If the top hooks have anti-jump catches that grip underneath the top rail, the catches will generally prevent the pannier moving, though I have had a slanted rail in combination with a rough (off) road causing the catches to let go and allow the pannier to swing (in this case the slant was caused by going down a steep hill rather than installation).

You can also install the lower anti-sway hook so that the open end faces the lower top rail hook, catching the carrier strut in the dead end to prevent swing. This works for Ortleib-style lower hooks used to grip a vertical (ish) rack component, but may not work for all pannier & racks combinations.
Ortlieb front roller classics with the old-style non-rotatable lower hook don't play that well with a Tubus Tara front rack on steep rough downhill, as the lower hook has to point backwards.
JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

Thanks! They're not incredibly slanted and the panniers have catches on the hooks and a bottom hook the same as my ortliebs so I think they'll stay in place okay!

I'll play about with the bottom hook cause it's adjustable and see if it holds with the bags loaded up!

In hindsight, I probably should of had this sorted before the last possible day haha!
gaz

Post by gaz »

AFAICT the Axiom does not have a connecting hoop over the front wheel or other method of bracing.

Fundamentally flawed design: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52885
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

If it's the same rack I had, get rid. They're nothing but trouble and mine was one of a few reasons my first attempted tour failed.
There are a few reviews around the Web with other users having similar angle issues. The lack of a wheel loop is a major issue if you value slowing down in a controlled manner.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89533&hilit=axiom
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.