How to release wire in 4ZA brake calipers.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gearoidmuar

How to release wire in 4ZA brake calipers.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've a pair of these on a Ridley bike. Came the time to change the wires. It was not obvious how to release them. I googled, useless.

Hmm.. Got out magnifying glass and peered at the nut. There's a tiny allen-key screw inside it. There are two flat surfaces on the otherwise round nut. You can grip this with an adjustable spanner, which is, btw un clef anglais, in French (useless info unless you're stuck in France) and open the allen screw a good bit.

This I hope is googleable.
Brucey

Re: How to release wire in 4ZA brake calipers.

Post by Brucey »

if this is a grub screw fitting, it is as well to remember that, often, the centre drilling goes deeper than the cross drilling (where the cable goes through). On the plus side this makes the cable anchorage much more secure, but on the minus side it leaves the cable with a hefty kink in it, so that it won't come out through the cross-drilling at all easily, even once the grub screw is backed out.

So you might have to pull very hard indeed. Often pulling hard on the brake lever is enough to get the cable to move but if the cable is failed or cut short you may have a real hassle getting it out.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gearoidmuar

Re: How to release wire in 4ZA brake calipers.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

It was kinked but I pulled it out in both cases with the brake lever. Preventive maintenance. Wires are originals, more than 5 years old. I'm sure you're right about when they're broken!