Bicycle for Road Bumps on Tarmac - Beginner Question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AdamOfLondon

Bicycle for Road Bumps on Tarmac - Beginner Question

Post by AdamOfLondon »

I am a beginner, I owned a bike before but I didn't use it a lot because it wasn't comfortable.

I am looking for a bicycle for daily commute to work, the daily route includes:

- Bumps on the tarmac
- Steep Hill (good on the way to work, not so good on the way back!)
- 90% tarmac, 10% curb

I am not sure what I should look for in a bicycle that reduces bump shocks, accommodates hills, good on tarmac, budget is around £400. Any recommendations of a bicycle model and/or the components that I need to insure this criteria is met?

N.B. Framesize 19"
Brucey

Re: Bicycle for Road Bumps on Tarmac - Beginner Question

Post by Brucey »

when you say 10% curb, do you mean that you will spend 10% of your time riding up and down over kerbs?

No bike is built for that... not one you would want to pedal up and down hills, anyway...

You don't say how far you have to ride, and if you will do it in all weathers, darkness etc.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AdamOfLondon

Post by AdamOfLondon »

Hi Brucey,

I meant the pavement not the curb :)

2 miles distance. Any recommendations?

Regards
Jeff31

Post by Jeff31 »

Hi Adam

If you want something to iron out the bumps then you should be looking at fatter tyres, at least 32mm, which will give you suspension without the cost or weight of actual suspension. Some low gears would help with the hill and if you are going to cycle in all weathers the ability to fit proper mudguards should be considered. Also consider if you will need to carry loads, a few tools and a waterproof can go in a saddle or back pack but if you are going to carry more, ie do your shopping on the way home then maybe you will want a pannier rack.

I would be looking at hybrids but you may want to consider old fashioned roadsters, touring, cyclo-cross or even a mountain bikes.

If you can persuade friends or bike shops to let you try some different styles of bike you may get a better idea of what you want.

Good Luck
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The fatter the tyre the greater the comfort ... generally speaking.

You can get quite fat tyres on a hybrid bike, ie. one with 700cwheels, but you can fit fatter tyres to comfort bikes with 26" wheels.

Don't buy any bike with suspension for any type of road use.
I should coco.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Personal question but how heavy are you? A heavier person may need to consider stronger components on the bike such as the wheels. I was about 17 stone, plus commuting stuff (laptop, clothes, etc) and my back wheel had to be replaced as it couldn't take the weight plus the toil of the commute. Just something to think about.
AdamOfLondon

Post by AdamOfLondon »

Jeff31 wrote:Hi Adam

If you want something to iron out the bumps then you should be looking at fatter tyres, at least 32mm, which will give you suspension without the cost or weight of actual suspension. Some low gears would help with the hill and if you are going to cycle in all weathers the ability to fit proper mudguards should be considered. Also consider if you will need to carry loads, a few tools and a waterproof can go in a saddle or back pack but if you are going to carry more, ie do your shopping on the way home then maybe you will want a pannier rack.

I would be looking at hybrids but you may want to consider old fashioned roadsters, touring, cyclo-cross or even a mountain bikes.

If you can persuade friends or bike shops to let you try some different styles of bike you may get a better idea of what you want.

Good Luck

Fatter tyres, low gears and mudguards are added to the list, thank you for the advice.
AdamOfLondon

Post by AdamOfLondon »

Valbrona wrote:The fatter the tyre the greater the comfort ... generally speaking.

You can get quite fat tyres on a hybrid bike, ie. one with 700cwheels, but you can fit fatter tyres to comfort bikes with 26" wheels.

Don't buy any bike with suspension for any type of road use.

I was actually thinking of suspensions, but I will look for fat tyres as it seems that this is the advice I am getting with everybody. Thank you.
AdamOfLondon

Post by AdamOfLondon »

The fat commuter wrote:Personal question but how heavy are you? A heavier person may need to consider stronger components on the bike such as the wheels. I was about 17 stone, plus commuting stuff (laptop, clothes, etc) and my back wheel had to be replaced as it couldn't take the weight plus the toil of the commute. Just something to think about.

I am average weight, thank you for highlighting it :)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Also ensure that the gears are low enough to get up that hill especially as it's after work. Unfortunately only you will know what's low enough after you have ridden it.
How severe are these bumps in the tarmac? If you go for tyres that are fatter make sure they aren't knobbly ones for off road use as these will not make riding on tarmac easier.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Bikes with hubgears are low maintenance compared to those with derailleurs.

I should coco.
AdamOfLondon

Post by AdamOfLondon »

MikeF wrote:Also ensure that the gears are low enough to get up that hill especially as it's after work. Unfortunately only you will know what's low enough after you have ridden it.
How severe are these bumps in the tarmac? If you go for tyres that are fatter make sure they aren't knobbly ones for off road use as these will not make riding on tarmac easier.

Thank you for the gear advice, I will check for that.
Not very big bumps, I assume fat tyres on a hybrid are still thin enough for the tarmac.

Cheers
AdamOfLondon

Post by AdamOfLondon »

Valbrona wrote:Bikes with hubgears are low maintenance compared to those with derailleurs.

Cheers :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Go to some bike shops and ride some bikes. You will not only be able to tell what you find more comfortable, but you will be able to tell something about the bike shops you visit, and how helpful they are in getting the bike set up correctly and everything. Or if you are willing to tell us what are you are in in, maybe someone can recommend a shop or two.

Also, the folks who belong to local cycling clubs, or who organise beginner rides in your area may have some good advice, as well. They can often be found on Facebook or other parts of the internet by search for 'bike ride <area>' or 'cycling club <area>'.

If you have an Edinburgh Bicycle Coop near you, I have often found them to be helpful.

And Decathlon bikes seem to be pretty good value for money. For your needs, avoid the ones with skinny tyres, or ask about racks and mudguards.

For comfort, it is extremely important that a bike is set up correctly for you. A good bike shop should be able to help you with that. There are also several threads on this forum about riding position and set up. Please ask if you would like more information.

Lastly, comfort can also relate to what you wear on the bike. Lycra and all that isn't necessary, but something like jeans with heavy seams is likely to chafe when cycling, especially when it gets wet or sewaty. Try fast drying sports wear or wicking materials made for walking or jogging.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You gave a frame size of 19", but didn't say what type of bicycle...

I just saw this in the classified ads viewtopic.php?f=40&t=97272 Maybe that will suit?

NB: usual disclaimers about not knowing the seller or making any guarantees about the sale
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom