Dodgy rubber

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brucelee

Dodgy rubber

Post by brucelee »

Opinions on 'can I get my money back on this tyre' solicited.
gatorskin 700x28C Duraskin
Purchased tweeks 20130903
fitted 20130904
removed 20150410
The tyre looked fine when it was new. Bike is kept inside.

Photo 1 (taken 20150119) shows tread rubber at its worst, Photo2 (taken 20140907) shows the tyre adjacent to the rear tyre off the same bike that had done more millage, photo 3 (taken 20150119) shows disintegration of the carcase near the bead.
WP_20150119_005smaller2.jpg
WP_20140907_002small2.jpg
WP_20150119_003small2.jpg
Brucey

Re: Dodgy rubber

Post by Brucey »

that looks pretty normal for an 18 month-used gatorskin.

BTW the 'carcass disintegration' in the third photo is nothing of the sort; it is just the chafer strip lifting slightly; this is perfectly normal on gatorskins and other conti tyres; the chafer strip is just there to protect the tyre from the rim edge; if the exposed part of the chafer starts to lift slightly this is perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about.

IMHO the most abnormal/worrying thing in those photos is the damage in the middle of the tread in the first photo. This might just be a nick in the rubber, but it could also be associated with carcass damage which will worsen if the tyre is used further. However I doubt that conti are going to do anything about that, you've ridden over something jaggy...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I would be riding that.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I wouldn't risk using those. I came into the World because of dodgy rubber and I sure don't want to go out because of it...b[emoji48]
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

531colin wrote:I would be riding that.

Are you sure ? I dug them out again. The lower was on the rear and the upper on the front. It also did less mileage and started to get those cracks after a couple of months from new.
WP_20150625_005.jpg
It also de-laminated -
WP_20150625_008.jpg
Why is the rubber on the lower tyre still smooth when the upper is cracked ? You can't see it in the photo but the lower one is worn almost to the fabric.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

well it's no good now is it! :wink:
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Brucey wrote:that looks pretty normal for an 18 month-used gatorskin.....

.....IMHO the most abnormal/worrying thing in those photos is the damage in the middle of the tread in the first photo. This might just be a nick in the rubber, but it could also be associated with carcass damage which will worsen if the tyre is used further. However I doubt that conti are going to do anything about that, you've ridden over something jaggy...

Q.E.D. ?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Based on the first 2 photos you showed us, then yes, I would be riding that tyre, just like I am riding the well-worn Durano above, complete with frayed edge to the chafing strip, the odd nick to the tread, and a bit of light cracking.
There is about 70 psi in my tyre, and no distortion of the carcass so I'm assuming the carcass is OK.

What did it look like before you poked an Allen key (or whatever it is) in there?
brucelee

Post by brucelee »

Maybe this is a case of expectations and quality control. A photograph of two identical tyres was presented that had been subjected to more or less identical conditions. One had cracked rubber early in it's service and had de laminated at the end. This de-lamination extends all the way around the tyre - it is not the product of something getting in through a hole. The other just wore out, maintaining the quality of its surface and not de-laminating. This indicates superior rubber which is a QC issue. I've email the supplier, maybe they'll contact conti. I'd like all my tyres to be as good as the ones I normally receive. This one's not.
Cheers,
Bruce.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I have worn the odd tyre down to the carcass, but mostly they get too cut up or go out of shape (wiggly) before that happens.
I don't recall ever seeing a tyre where the rubber has separated from the carcass, and that is the only fault on this tyre that concerns me.
Things might have been clearer if you had mentioned "de-lamination" in your first post, but I think we got there in the end.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Any responsibility for the quality or otherwise of the tyres rests with the retailer not the manufacturer. It is the retailer you have a contract with. They'd probably want to examine it. The fact you've poked a large object through the outer casing won't help your case.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker