Effect of bottom-bracket height

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

Re: Effect of bottom-bracket height

Post by fastpedaller »

keepontriking wrote:High bottom brackets - at least 11" are essential for fixed wheel bikes to avoid pedal strike.

That's one I'd not heard of - I'll have to do some measurements of my track iron now, just out of curiosity........Many years ago I was riding a TT on fixed WITH 150mm CRANKS , and struck a pedal! So I wonder what the angle of lean was?
It was with Campag road pedals though, so a bit less clearance than the SPD's I use now :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

I used to set my saddle height with reference to the ground (i.e. be able to touch the ground with both toes). Then I used the flat heel/foot at 90 deg to allow the knee to bend slightly in normal postion. So that's better and the saddle was then in proper relation to the pedal. I then ignored any issues with foot on ground at rest.

But then if the BB height goes up, the saddle must go up too. Even if this doesn't present a foot-on-the-ground issue, however, the saddle has now moved up and away from the bars. On my MTBs I think I have found a conflict between getting the saddle to pedal distance right (my legs felt cramped with the high BB) and stretch to the bars. I don't think I imagined it. It's OK if reach isn't an issue for you but I struggle with it (as I have mentioned many times).

I'm going to check it out again. If the BB height really does make a difference, it will be something to take into account more than I have in the past in deciding whether a bike frame is right for me or not (there's not much left not to have to take into account... :( ).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Mick F wrote:Aren't all traditional BBs 11" high?

Mine is, but most bikes these days seem to have them somewhat higher.

I recall we nearly all rode 10 3/4" in 'my day' for road/TT bikes then we used a minimum of 11" bb height for track, but also reduced the crank length down to 6 1/2".
But times change.

They have also gone metric, which of course messes everything up :wink: