Thanks Shimano, what a waste of time that... wasn't!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Manc33

Re: Thanks Shimano, what a waste of time that... wasn't!

Post by Manc33 »

Cheers guys, I am going to just do a lot more reading up. :oops:

EDIT:

I think I get it now - it means you're going around anti-clockwise (from the drive side) when there's a hole between the key spoke and the valve hole?

Conversely, when the first hole is available, it is clockwise?

If that isn't the answer I am going to... I am going to... cry.

EDIT 2: This also appears to affect whether you do "over, over, under, skip one" like the YouTube guy said.

Is this right then...

If you can use the first hole, go clockwise, do not "skip one" when going "over, over, under".
(aka the Sheldon Brown diagrams).

If you cannot use the first hole, go anti-clockwise, do "skip one" when going "over, over, under".
(aka every single rim I have got in my house).

If that's the case, why has Sheldon got an odd rim? Or hasn't he? There's no rhyme or reason, a rim could be manufactured either way? Its nutty to me that something so seemingly superficial will throw the whole thing out, but that's typical of wheelbuilding lol.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Have you checked the pattern of spoke holes in the rim? They are offset from the centre (look hard!) and this is the most important part for lacing. Sheldon explains this but you need to read thoroughly to make sure you understand and check your lacing is the correct option. Following Sheldon "The key spoke will be next to the valve hole in the rim, or one hole away." (with the valve at the top)Edit and to the right of the valve hole but that should be obvious from his diagrams. Determine which hole you need for the key spoke - it is likely to be the second hole away from the valve on many current rims (perhaps choose that option if you have rims where you cannot determine the offset), but it on depends hole offset pattern on the rim. This may be "nutty", but it's a fact that rims have been made differently, by different manufacturers or maybe same manufacturers and over time!

Sheldon's explanation and instructions are very good and perfectly easy to follow, but other people have different methods or at least different visualisations. If you try to combine two different methods ie Youtube and Sheldon you might easily become confused. :wink:

I wouldn't start removing spokes and lacing them from different sides etc. because as you've already built the wheel there should now be 4 different bends at the elbow of each series of spokes as Colin has explained. You will probably have difficulty resetting these bends.
Last edited by MikeF on 28 Jun 2015, 12:05am, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

http://i.imgur.com/U2lLmN8.jpg ......why can't I post that picture at this magnification?....building wheels is easier than posting pictures!

The first 2 spokes you lace are the key. Take a spoke and put it in a hole in the hub flange nearest you, so the spoke head lies on the outside of the flange. This spoke goes in the second hole clockwise from the valve hole.....you have one there already.
Take another spoke, put it (head out) in the opposite flange....but its crucial that you get it in the right hole......that hole is half a space anti-clockwise from the first spoke. Put that spoke in the first hole clockwise from the valve, and the lacing pattern is set for the whole wheel.

edit.....what Mike F says about "visualisation" is good. I have never ever tried to read anybody's "explanation" of which spoke goes where, I can simply "see" it.
I would agree that Sheldon's "key spoke" goes in one of 2 holes, either one or two holes clockwise from the valve. However, to complete the lacing, you have to pick the right flange hole for the spoke from the opposite flange....if the first spoke goes in the hole next to the valve, that is half a space clockwise from the first....if the first spoke goes in the second hole from the valve that is half a space anticlockwise from the first.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Cheers guys, for the first time it came out laced exactly right. :D

Just for the record this is a wheel I am just practicing on and isn't for using.

Visualizing it is exactly what I am terrible at though lol.

Now I have realized when to go anti-clockwise and when to go clockwise it does make sense, along with the "skip one" (or don't) thing that seems tied to it, but most people can probably tell the angle isn't right.

I agree the first key spoke and the first of the next set are vital, after that it almost laces itself (assuming you start the third set off at the right angle) because nothing can go anywhere it shouldn't after that point.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.