New bike!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bainbridge

Re: New bike!

Post by bainbridge »

andrew549 wrote:I would imagine that fitting such a short stem is going to seriously effect the handling of the bike, personally I would fit around a 80-90mm stem and use shorter reach bars to move the hoods closer whilst keeping the tops in the same place. Currently I'm running these http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catal ... -handlebar as they have a short reach but allow me to still use a reasonable length stem. Although it depends what the reach and drop of the bars you are currently using is as to how much change you can make.

I've heard that a shorter stem does make the ride twitchier Andrew, but I have to bring the brakes back someshow. Those bars of yours look ideal, maybe combined with a medium stem it'll reduce the reach enough. I'll have to measure up the existing bars and familiarise myself with what the different curves are called and how they're measured, then I can look at what can be done.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

pwa wrote:The very short stem seems to me to be worth a try. If it is not suitable it is £18 wasted, but on the plus side it will certainly reduce reach and the handling of the bike may still be okay. It is a quicker fix than changing the bars. Hope it goes well.

Yes for £18 it will bring the bars right back, it'll be interesting to see how the bike handles. Had a Wiggle voucher to use up anyway so didn't have to spend real money on the stem.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

If you had bought an adjustable stem you would have had an adjustable range of length and height at the same time, which would have given you an idea if it was just a reach problem you are suffering from or a drop one also. This stem will only be more or less comfortable than the previous one, but an adjustable one might have got you in the most comfortable position or at least given you the ability to assess how to achieve that. I am a little worried you may have overcompensated with this stem, but here's hoping all is well.
the snail

Post by the snail »

Another possibility is to move the brake levers back a bit on the bars. I was struggling to get my tourer set up for ages until I realised the brakes were too far forward, and when I moved them back it solved my comfort issues.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I'm using a 45mm fixie stem on a Ridgeback Tour. The bike doesn't seem twitchy to me. I would have thought other factors made a bike twitchy such as trail etc.
I find bar end levers fine. I think different levers take a little practice for use and even re-use if you swap for a long time between different types.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Freddie wrote:I am a little worried you may have overcompensated with this stem, but here's hoping all is well.

Freddie you might be right. Did 20 miles unladen this evening and my back ached less than last time, so a period of adaptation combined with a slightly shorter stem might be the solution. Time will tell.

Those adjustable stems adjust height and reach in an arc so I don't really see the benefit in my case because it isn't the height which is the issue, it's the distance out in front.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

the snail wrote:Another possibility is to move the brake levers back a bit on the bars. I was struggling to get my tourer set up for ages until I realised the brakes were too far forward, and when I moved them back it solved my comfort issues.

The height of the current hood position is just right, but a little bit higher might be worthwhile as a bit of fine tuning.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

MikeF wrote:I'm using a 45mm fixie stem on a Ridgeback Tour. The bike doesn't seem twitchy to me. I would have thought other factors made a bike twitchy such as trail etc.
I find bar end levers fine. I think different levers take a little practice for use and even re-use if you swap for a long time between different types.

Glad to hear someone else has fitted a fixie stem :-)

The bar ends are becoming more instinctive, reminds me of changing gear on downtube shifters as a kid :-) One benefit is I no longer play with the gears searching for a perfect gear for my given speed and terrain. I only change when I really need to because they're no longer on my finger tips, if that makes sense.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

bainbridge wrote:Those adjustable stems adjust height and reach in an arc so I don't really see the benefit in my case because it isn't the height which is the issue, it's the distance out in front.
Well, how do you know height isn't an issue, until you suck it and see? If it isn't a problem once you have tried a higher position, you can always put the adjustable stem lower and lower down on the steerer and angle it upwards, giving you progressively shorter reach. I only make a point of the height thing because with a back issue you may benefit from the bars higher than you might normally imagine. You may not, but it would be beneficial to give it a try, if only to rule it out. An adjustable stem takes much of the guesswork out of fitting, because you can adjust both height and length at the same time for optimal comfort.

As I said earlier, arm reach gets longer the closer your arms get to a 90 degree angle, so as the bars come up the reach might practically take care of itself.
Peater

Post by Peater »

Bainbridge,

How are you finding the CInelli?
It's on my short-list of prospective tourers. I like the look of it but don't really know too much about Cinelli's.