SKS Chromoplastics vs Longboards

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iandriver

Re: SKS Chromoplastics vs Longboards

Post by iandriver »

AlanW wrote:
iandriver wrote:Must admit I like the extended mudflap route myself. One of these looks ideal as a front mudguard bolted on flap http://ass-savers.com/

But look at the cost!! Much better to go to Wilkinsons and buy a cheap A4 folder for a couple of quid and make four of them for less than the price of one ass saver. :D

Just follow a winter sportive around. You can pick 'em up for free :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've taken to making my own out of the tall end of 2 or 4 pint plastic milk bottles (depending on how long an extension I want). They were initially intended as just a temporary fix to see how long I wanted the flaps to be but they have worked so well I've not changed them in 12 months or more.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I know it's been said many times but damp course plastic makes brilliant midflaps and doesn't break even if dragging the ground. Look in skips by building sites, outside then council tip or as I did yesterday, on the side of the road.. Many power line poles have very reflective plastic strips round them. That is brilliant stuff. :wink:
Graham

Post by Graham »

reohn2 wrote:[When I bought my(45mm)Longboards I was concerned enough that the front(stiff) mudflap would cause such a problem (when dropping off curbs or similar)as you've experienced,I replaced it with floppy piece of truck innertube that hangs to approx 25mm off the road surface.

Longboards are longer than other SKS ones and all the better for it IMHO,why all the mudguards aren't this long is anyone's guess.
I got mine from here:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks- ... -prod68581

I've got to replace the guards on my 700c tourer anyway. 45mm ones.
Are those CRC 28" Longboard ones in the link the correct size for 700c ??

Thanks for all the warnings about further modifications. I'll be ready to DIY.

. . . Looking forward to keeping the grit-spray off the chain . . . .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a slightly different take on this subject ..............
I recently bought a set of Bluemells as the rounded profile was better for my close clearances.

The first thing I noticed, was the Bluemells are longer than the SKS Chromoplasics they replaced. Also, the Chromoplastics had a mudflap at the bottom end of the front, but as the Bluemells are longer AND without a mudflap, they are better, and my feet don't get as wet.

Strange, but true.

Maybe it's something to do with the shape of the mudflap that although it was there, it wasn't well designed.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Graham wrote:
reohn2 wrote:[When I bought my(45mm)Longboards I was concerned enough that the front(stiff) mudflap would cause such a problem (when dropping off curbs or similar)as you've experienced,I replaced it with floppy piece of truck innertube that hangs to approx 25mm off the road surface.

Longboards are longer than other SKS ones and all the better for it IMHO,why all the mudguards aren't this long is anyone's guess.
I got mine from here:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks- ... -prod68581

I've got to replace the guards on my 700c tourer anyway. 45mm ones.
Are those CRC 28" Longboard ones in the link the correct size for 700c ??

Thanks for all the warnings about further modifications. I'll be ready to DIY.

. . . Looking forward to keeping the grit-spray off the chain . . . .

yes 28 inch = 700c

But you will need to think of tyre size as well 35mm will fit upto 28mm tyre so the 45 should easily do upto 38mm tyre
NUKe

Post by Graham »

Thanks NUKe. Now ordered. More feedback later.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Popped into Poundland over the weekend and purchased a black A4 Display folder. The front and rear covers are just the right gauge to make mudflaps.

As a double bonus, enough to make four decent sized muflaps and all for just a quid.......happy days :mrgreen:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Fitted some SKS Bluemels to my town/commuter bike as the 26x2.0 Big Apple tyres were throwing more spray around than crudguards could cope with.

Spray was still hitting my shoes so I extended the front mudguard by drilling out a rivet in the lower stay bridge and bolting on a mudflap made out of flower bucket plastic.

IMG_2194 (450 x 600).jpg

Edit: Drilled out both rivets and re-attached flap as suggested by AlanW below, thanks for the tip.

IMG_2207 (450 x 600).jpg
Last edited by Erudin on 3 Dec 2015, 9:00pm, edited 5 times in total.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

I always tend to sandwich the mud flap between the mudguard and the stay mounting bracket. It just gives a mounting bolt/s that bit more spread over the mud flap otherwise it can tear across the plastic holes quite easy.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

AlanW wrote:Popped into Poundland over the weekend and purchased a black A4 Display folder. The front and rear covers are just the right gauge to make mudflaps.

As a double bonus, enough to make four decent sized muflaps and all for just a quid.......happy days :mrgreen:

Advice duly followed. :D
Graham

Post by Graham »

Bracket fitted in front. No other mods.
Looks good. Not ridden yet.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/134272349 ... 871145613/
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

AlanW wrote:Popped into Poundland over the weekend and purchased a black A4 Display folder. The front and rear covers are just the right gauge to make mudflaps.

I knocked up a couple of longer mud flaps last night, so now even with a normal length SKS mudguard on the front the wheel coverage is the same as it is with the Longboards. However, I have noticed that in doing so the mud flap tends to resonate ever so slightly and consequently makes a really annoying vibration type of noise when going over a ribbed or uneven tarmac road surface.

But the good news, to cure this simply put a 45 degree horizontal fold/crease about 1/2" from the bottom of the flap. To be fair it doesn't cure it 100%, but near enough that it doesn't annoy me now.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Longboards give better protection, but this year the lanes are muckier than ever.

I have augmented the guards with some Damp-Proof Course.

MudguardExtraBack.jpg

MudguardExtraFront.jpg