Pads for weinmann cantilever brakes?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tcc

Pads for weinmann cantilever brakes?

Post by Tcc »

Hi
I have just bought a 1985 Peugeot tandem with all original fittings. The rim brakes are weinmann cantilever with black rubbers housed in quite wide ally blocks. Does anyone know a good source of rubber pads as I want to stick with the original look?
Thanks
Tcc
Brucey

Re: Pads for weinmann cantilever brakes?

Post by Brucey »

Kool stop make blocks that go into MAFAC holders, maybe others too. They are worth a look I guess.

But TBH the sensible thing to do is to get modern pads and holders; the post mount is standard across lots of brakes but the holder size wasn't, not back in the day.

If you really want pads to go into your holders, best to post a photo of your holders, with a scale marker. Someone may recognise them.

Mafac-fit koolstops here

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks-caliper-dept471_pg1/

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tcc

Post by Tcc »

Cheers Brucey

Am away from home but will take your advice when I get back

Tcc
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Fibrax make replacements for a variety of Weinmann brake pads, including many of those that come in an aluminium housing.

There is a thread here about brake pads for side pull Weinmann brakes that may give you some ideas viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87143

You might find more with a search of the forum using 'Weinmann brake pads' or a similar phrase.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

These look very similar to Weinmann type brake blocks. Fibrax tends to be decent quality. http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... Brake_Pads

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tcc

Post by Tcc »

Thanks for your replies - really helpful and should get me sorted
Regards
Tcc