Hollowtech crank removal?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tonyf33

Re: Hollowtech crank removal?

Post by Tonyf33 »

MartinC wrote:Hmmm. Octalink was only around for a short time. The idea of putting a wider axle in a standard inboard bearing bracket didn't last long, there was no great take up and external bearings soon superseded it. Hence it was a blind alley. OBB bearings have gone on to become the current industry standard and ST remains. Octalink has virtually disappeared along with ISIS.

I wonder if BB posts on cycling forums set the bells ringing a GCHQ?

All of which are untrue/inaccurate
OBB might be okay for top end racers but I'd rather have Octalink over them anyday for everyday use in the variable UK weather, currently still going strong on my 2007 bike with the original BB, I'm a bit of a masher & not exactly lightweight either and it goes out in all weathers.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Thanks for the tip Ugly, the threaded bar trick worked a treat :D
Beauty will save the world.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Tonyf33 wrote:OBB might be okay for top end racers but I'd rather have Octalink over them anyday for everyday use in the variable UK weather, currently still going strong on my 2007 bike with the original BB, I'm a bit of a masher & not exactly lightweight either and it goes out in all weathers.

Well, YMMV of course, but I've yet to kill a Shimano/SRAM external bearing BB in the last 7 years (admittedly only on the road, but with a fair few miles on the Shimanos) whereas I used to get through Octalinks in a few months and I had an ISIS die in weeks (off-road, so a little apples-and-oranges).

Obviously Shimano square tapers will likely be things that my grandchildren can inherit.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

All the ones I've used and there have been a fair few including Dura Ace road double/triple, Ultegra same again and MTB variants have all worked flawlessly and much much smoother/less resistance than even top end ceramic outboard BBs.
I do find the Octalink to be particularly good for fit and forget, no worries about finding the right length or making adjustments, the interface to the cranks are easy as pie too, longevity well into 5 figures and not a peep of play or roughness.
As for extraction, a couple of inexpensive self extracting bolts/caps with a small multi-tool or allen key do the job when on the road or at home.
I agree about ST, I'd happily use them if that's the best/easiest option, I've got a titanium Nervar in my old Carlton, smooth as butter, a HOPE ti waiting for a crank/frame, both sealed bearing units, though I have loose and caged ones too.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Brucey, yes, I own a couple too, unfortunately. They don't get used much and I'm sure when I need to replace the BB's they'll be hard to find. In terms of ubiquity I'd put them on a par with helicomatic hubs, just a bit more recent. I was never sure why Shimano trickled them down, as you say product differentiation was probably the driver. The blind alley comment is just that they weren't part of any evolutionary path, they existed for a short time alongside ST and then got replaced by something completely different whilst ST sill lurks in some niches. They were never more than a proprietary standard.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

choice of 9 octalink BBs here

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/splined-es-bottom-brackets-dept786_pg1/

Shimano were willing to licence their design to others and indeed did so.

I've seen enough of these things fail to know that they are not as strong in the bearings as many other BBs, but it is the usual problem, rubbish seals and not enough grease inside that kills them. Also the spline itself wasn't really strong enough in Octalink V1. The larger spline in V2 is better.

If you ever find that the crank pulls onto the spline too easily (it should need 5-10 ftlbs on the bolt to wind the crank in), I'd suggest that it is a good idea to assemble with a little bearing retaining compound instead of a little grease as shimano stipulate.

You can make a hole in the side of the BB cartridge (with difficulty) and add more grease inside the unit. They will last a lot longer like that, I don't think I ever saw one wear out that hadn't had water inside it first...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Shimano Claris is Octalink, I believe - as someone pointed out on this forum a while ago.

Now, whatever happened to Shimano Dyna-Drive, Intego and Positron?
I should coco.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

stewartpratt wrote:
Obviously Shimano square tapers will likely be things that my grandchildren can inherit.

Do you mean your fitted square tapers will still be going strong for them or that square tapers will still be around for them to buy new?
Sweep
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Sweep wrote:Do you mean your fitted square tapers will still be going strong for them or that square tapers will still be around for them to buy new?

The former :)