Frame cleaning

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Frame cleaning

Post by fatboy »

As the proud owner of a shiny black (actual colour definition) Spa steel touring frame. So that it stays shiny what should I use to clean the frame? A lot of guides suggest soapy water but what sort of soap? I hear that fairy liquid is bad due to the salt in it. Is that true? If so what soap should I use instead?

Assuming that I get it clean and I fancied polishing it what should I use for that?

Thoughts appreciated!

Chris
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
gregoryoftours

Re: Frame cleaning

Post by gregoryoftours »

Personally I don't think that fairy liquid is too bad, especially if it dries quickly after or you rinse it off. Otherwise car shampoo is fine, and you can Turtle wax if you like too.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Is the frame "bare"?
ie all the components off?

I have mine like that once or twice a year and clean it thoroughly with a cloth and detergent then rinse and dry, then polish with a good car wax. Once or twice I've used Brasso to get the grime off.

If the bike needs a clean as a complete item, I hose very gently, then wash with car shampoo and a brush to get into all the nooks and crannies, then rinse off with a gentle hose. Leave to dry in the open air, or maybe in a warm kitchen.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Wash with car wash and wax.
I also use a proper car wax on the top tube where sweat is most likely to drip.
I also use GT85 occasionally (squirted on and buffed up with a clean cotton rage such as an old T shirt) when the bike's looking a bit dusty,it brings out a nice shine :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Thanks for the input. Currently cleaning as a bike but it will be done bare on occasions. Sounds like a trip to the car section of halfords needed!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I use Halfords bike cleaner spray. Don't let any solvents like white spirit near it because it will dull the finish.
I should coco.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

As for what implement(s) to wash the frame with, I think good soft paintbrushes work best (cheap ones are fine out of Poundies, or Aldi/Lidl, and that way you can change them often without it costing), although don't use the same one(s) as you use for the greasy bits. Plenty of water, lots of car shampoo - wash/wax should do fine - but gloss black paint is notorious for showing scratches, so don't use dirty brushes/sponges, although I think brushes are better than sponges in that respect.

The great American frame painter Joe Bell recommends Lemon Pledge to polish the paint, which surprised me, but there you go. I would have thought you'd use regular car wax, but he's a perfectionist, his paint jobs are just about the best in the world, so if that's what he says... Maybe he just means to use the Pledge to 'top up' the wax, though?

Main thing is not rubbing grit into the paint, and if you wax the paint well (after you've cleaned it, of course), you stop grit sticking to it in the first place - most of the dirt will wash off with water, then you get the rest off with the paintbrush/shampoo. Don't use high water pressure, though - a couple of years ago I started connecting the hose to the kitchen tap instead of the bathroom tap; the kitchen water supply comes from the mains at high pressure, the bathroom from the upstairs water tank at low pressure, and I merrily blasted the grease out of all the bearings before I realised the error of my ways. Just a trickle is enough.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I use Ecover washing up liquid in water to wash.

For wax, I recently bought some of this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-LITRE-DETAI ... 43d2b1c7cf. I've had good results from it. I was keen to get something with a high carnauba content in it, for it's high gloss and hard wearing nature. It does have a slight haze to it before it's buffed up, but it isn't so chalky as regular car wax is (at least the Turtle Wax I've used). As a result I've even used it on Brooks saddles to good effect :o
They stay shiny for longer 8)
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I like the idea of using pound shop paint brushes. Trying to get the grit off before it scratches is something I've not been very good at!

As ever with this forum I'm always glad to have asked.