Light mounting using stays

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Light mounting using stays

Post by Brucey »

if you genuinely can't run a bracket under the crown then perhaps you could have a bracket that goes over the shoulders of the fork crown?

I would suggest that the canti bosses ought (on the face of it) to be more than strong enough for a lamp by themselves but the bending fatigue loadings through vibration are there all the time whereas the (much higher) loadings from the brakes are there for only a little of the time so the fatigue damage is likely to be less from the brakes even though the loads are much higher.

In any event a small bracket from the crown to steady a light where the weight of it is supported by the canti-bosses is a fair enough arrangement. You could even make a simple 'T' shaped bracket and then use tape or zip ties to secure the top of the 'T' to the fork crown.

The other way I've seen it done is with an additional set of mudguard stays to the front of the mudguard (pref metal) or mudguard stays and canti boss stays to a lamp mount on the mudguard (plastic or metal, the brackets do the work).

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Canti bosses would be more than strong enough if there were any, but who wants rim brakes? :)

The "extra set of stays" approach was broadly what I was describing above, albeit with a little tweaking to make it tidier. Would mean getting some struts custom made but that would be easy enough.
dandru

Post by dandru »

I'm in the process of mounting a dyno light on this rack http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/product_ ... ts_id=1035 You might be able to find something similar.