P* repair on an open tubular

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

P* repair on an open tubular

Post by nez »

has anyone tried open tubeless? I mean like Challenge Strada biancas? How would you repair a p* on one? I'm rather interested in trying them in the 30mm size, but I don't want to have to go all glue and mystic meg if the p* fairy visits. :shock:
Oh dear - edited now
Thanks for correction. I was baking bread and thinking about the subject at the same time. The bread has come out okay!
Last edited by nez on 25 May 2015, 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxyrider

Re: P* repair on an open tubular

Post by foxyrider »

'open tubulars'? do you perhaps mean 'tubeless'? :?:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jezer

Post by jezer »

I'm not sure what open tubulars are. Many of us used traditional tubs in the 80's/90's, and they were certainly quicker and easier to fit after a roadside visit from the fairy. The downside was cost. I attempted to repair one once, but the stitching got the better of me, and I simply ditched them after that. They were supposed to be deflated after each ride to avoid damage.
Power to the pedals
nez

Post by nez »

No, Jezer. If I thought I was condemning myself the weeping at the side of the road with glue, I wouldn't even consider it. It's open tubeless of course, but I don't think I can edit the strapline
nez

Post by nez »

nez

Post by nez »

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -14-48260/ is another. You can get them for less than 40 sovs. But how the hell would you repair a p*?
RickH

Post by RickH »

It reminds me of when I ran tubs for a while in the 80s and ones I liked were "tubeless" ones (I forget which make, possibly Vredestein). Although a little heavy (they were designed for training), to repair a puncture the repair glue had a hypodermic needle type arrangement which you stuck through the puncture and squeezed some glue in, pulled the needle out & then pumped up the tyre. :D You didn't even have to take it off the rim.

I've no direct experience of modern tubeless tyres, but my understanding is that you use slime-type repair fluid or put a tube in if the hole is too bad but the tyre is still useable.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

An open tubular is a tubular carcass that is not sewn up but has beads added so that it is a normal beaded tyre requiring a separate inner tube. The difference between a open tubular and a normal wired on tyre (clincher if you like) is that the open tubular has a very high thread count in the carcass and is therefore has very flexible/compliant sidewalls. This review of another open tubular in the range shows the construction - a folding tyre. http://road.cc/content/review/87813-cha ... -road-tyre
jezer

Post by jezer »

Crikey, the tubs I recall were simply stuck onto sprint rims with tub tape. I've no experience of tubeless versions. I think some pro teams have gone back to traditional tubs because they can carry on riding for a short distance after a puncture before getting service. Of course for them the cost doesn't matter and it's all down the sponsor's wishes.
Power to the pedals
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TBH I wouldn't even consider them.
They're repair with a fluid through the valve but if it's anything more than a pin prick you'd need to fit a tub anyway or fit new tyre.
The advantages are quick repair(or not)and a lighter more flexible tyre due to having no (150g?)tube.
To my mind not practical,as carrying a couple of tubes and 15minutes stop time,two to three times per year is no hardship for me.

EDIT:- Forgive me,of the three tubeless variants I seem to have got the wrong one :? .As you were.
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 May 2015, 4:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

We are not talking about tubeless tyres here are we, so it’s just as tatanab described. They repair in exactly the same way as normal…sorry to use that offensive word (clinchers) do.
I have been using Veloflex master open tubulars for years and they are great, fast, and p******e resistant, well at least they are for me. :|
Beauty will save the world.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i used to be able to do a tub swap in about a minute when i used them regularly - surprisingly i didn't puncture often, certainly no more than with clinchers. Tubeless might be okay for competition use, not sure its the best route for normal riding although i guess you can just chuck a tube in but doesn't that defeat the whole point? The riding with a flat thing with tubulars is valid - i once rode 2 miles to finish an event on a flat tub, you'd be lucky to do 20 yards on a flat clincher!
Aparently you can use the same tubeless repair system for tubulars which might save all the unstitching for traditional tub repair (can you even get the correct materials these days?)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As said, they are nowt like a tub. Treat them like a normal non wire beaded tyre. That's what they really are. All right they are closer to a tub that isn't stitched but that's all. They work the same as a normal tyre, tube and all. From new they are a bit fiddly to fit as they want to stay flat but once you have the edges fitted they are fine. They do take a curve, well my Strada Bianca's do. Those ride nicely in 30mm but to be honest they don't seem overly puncture resistant. Great on a nice wide rim.
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks all. Now it makes sense. I'm going to give them a go.
nez

Post by nez »

Report back... I fitted them. They are lovely. Cornering in the dry is sensational - haven't tried the wet yet. Of course dimensions are a bit strange. My old 25mm conti 4 seasons were 28.5, the Challenge Strada biancas are supposed to be 30 but actually measure 33!