Fabric Fairings for a Recumbent Trike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick Metcalfe

Fabric Fairings for a Recumbent Trike

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Trying to look around he net, albeit very unsuccessfully, I am after a fairing for an ICE Trike Adventurer that will fit with the ICE Helping Handles.

I have seen that the Windwrap WGX is a popular fairing, but unsure if it would fit with the helping handles. I am still awaiting my order of the trike (3-4 wks now) so it would be great if I could source accessories prior to getting it, so I'm all sorted for a mini adventure when it arrives. :)

The only thing is though, the price of the fairings are pretty steep imho and was interested in sourcing a fabric one, that should prove lighter and more manageable as I am disabled. Also no scratches, washable, lighter etc are all things I think would benefit a fairing and help reduce the price. Ive not seen any Tadpole trike style fabric fairings, but I'm new to cycling and I feel I may still be looking in the wrong areas.

Additionally, does anyone know of a decent cycle flag making company?

Cheers

Mick
Cunobelin

Re: Fabric Fairings for a Recumbent Trike

Post by Cunobelin »

Flags...

I have had a brilliant relationship with Helen at Raindrop Kites for many years.

Discuss what you want, size and shape and she can make the flag for you

Look at the recumbent page - the yellow dragon flag is my 1994 trice, and the Celtic Flags are my latest design

The blue was for the Gekko and the red for the Kettwiesel

They are held in place by a tie and a clip available from a kite shop

As for the GX- I have used it on a number of trikes from the Expedition, Gekko and now the Kettwiesel

If you buy the tilting mounting then it can accommodate mounting by tilting forward, but there may be clearance problems with the helping handles when in the riding mode

Fabric fairings are a similar issue with these extensions

I have seen the WIndwrap XT Fairing used with velcro around the edge to attach the front of fabric fairing that was then tensioned with fibre glass rods attached to the raxk at the rear
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanl you for your reply, those flags look great, especially if you can choose your own colours etc! :D

Regarding the fairing, I am after a full fabric one if possible, as mixing a product of that price (about £500) and then sticking something to it in order to fit your requirement seems a little odd imho. At that price, it should have all the bells and whistles imho, hehe. :) Dont get me wrong though, its a nice looking piece of kit, but I tend to look at things in a very unbias nature, which gets me into trouble sometimes. Hehe ;)

Ill certainly be on the blower monday to speak to Helen regarding the flags though. Nice find, thanks! :)

Mick
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Prior to the takeover by TerraCycle Meuller / Windwrap used to do a fabric fairing that could be adapted for trikes:

It is based on the XT fairing and the "Tailsok" rear fitting

Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Wow! That looks very.... extreme! Hehe.

Was thinking something more along these lines tbh, obviously for a tadpole style though. :)
http://www.recumbentblog.com/wp-content ... limax1.jpg
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I've seen one of those Hase fairings in the flesh. It was on the front of a Pino tandem. It was extremely well engineered, as you would expect. But, the structure supporting the fabric was quite complex. The windsock concept (though I've never actually seen one) appears much more straightforward.

The woman who rode stoker on the Pino told me just how warm it is when it's on. I can confirm that, having made myself a GRP fairing some years ago. It reduces wind resistance, but is too warm in summer. I only use it in winter, when it helps keep my feet warm and rain off my lower legs and lap.

I have considered cutting my fairing down to be a nose fairing, and making a fabric windsock, to be donned whenever it rained, or turned cold. I might get the best of both worlds in such a case.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks Geoff! :) Yeah the Hase fairing looks great and I like the ability to be able to fold it when getting in and out too! :D

Before my accident I was a very avid runner, about 40 miles a week at least. My favourite time to run was while it was spitting down just enough to keep me cool, so I like the elements, to a certain degree at least. I did stumble across this today, as I traversed from link to link to link. hehe

http://www.veltop.eu/uk/veltop-trike-26.html

protection-pluie-velo-couche.jpg

Whilst I have to admit it isn't as flash looking as some of its competitors, it does have a load more benefits for only £350, which is the high side of what I would call a decent price imho, after all, its the cost of a mid range bike... I understand business though, so high profit margin/low turnover is a very valid stratergy and certainly has its place within the market. But I also think that the customer should also feel its value, which is certainly different from customer to customer. :)
I am really leaning towards this Veltop tbh, I think I will give myself another weeks research before placing my order, so it should get to me prior to me getting my trike in 3-4 weeks. :)

Mick
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

@Cunobelin

Flag has now been ordered.

Thanks mate :D

still looking about for fairings though and had a few peaks at tents, an area I think I will struggle at, as my bad back will be a bit of a hinderance. Feels like everything is starting to come together a bit now. :)

Mick
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick Metcalfe wrote:@Cunobelin

Flag has now been ordered.

Thanks mate :D

Mick

My pleasure

It is also nice to be able to support a small company like Raindrop Kites, who are willing to go that extra mile for a group that is (how shall I put this politely) outside the normal customer base
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

I think of it as trend setting. Hehe. :D

Seemed nice, but only chatted very briefly, she sounded busy, which is good I guess. :)

Spoke mainly via email and now looking forward to getting my flag for my trike In 2 weeks, which is great for a custom made one imho! :)
alant82

Post by alant82 »

Hi Mick,

I have an ICE Sprint 26 and Veltop - see picture at http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15204&p=630130#p630130.

The Veltop has its pros and cons. It does make getting in and out of the trike a little awkward but it does keep the rain off. I haven't used mine for a long time mainly because I had to partially dismantle it to get the trike through my shed door, and that became tiresome. If you're put off by the price of a new one then you could have mine - I'll PM you with details.

Cheers,
Alan
Alan
ICE Sprint 26
Bacchetta Giro 26
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

@Alant82,

Thank you for your kind offer of the fairing and sorry its taken a few days to get back to you (internet problems with PlusNet!). I shall be wanting to buy new, as ill get a warranty with the item, so will give greater piece of mind. It shall be going in a shed with french doors, soi am hoping not to keep debuilding it tbh, although I will mainly be using the lower screen during the summer, the top screen can stay indoors, another great benefit to the item imho.

Thanks again for the offer!

Mick