Re-Building an old Dawes Galaxy Advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
markfh

Re: Re-Building an old Dawes Galaxy Advice please

Post by markfh »

The Spa XD-2 chainsets are very good value. The only possible downside is that it comes with 6061 alloy chainrings which are softer than some other alloys. That having been said they will be good for a few thousand miles before they need changing. When they do need changing the Spa chainrings (http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s210p0 are zicral (7075) so will last longer. One thing to watch, when I bought a new Spa outer chainring last year it came with the pin to prevent the chain falling in the gap between the crank and the chain ring in the "wrong" position, i.e. it seemed designed for use with the TD-2 cranks rather than XD-2 so was 36 degrees away from where I wanted it. When I get round to fitting it - the existing outer had some wear left in it so I left it for the time being as I tend to use the middle ring most on that bike - I will have to do some "fettling" to move the pin (or swap to TD-2 cranks depending on the crank wear at that time).

As all your drive chain will be subject to wear and the parts need replacing as they wear out it is a reasonable strategy to start with the Spa XD-2 and then, if you find you like the other aspects of the cranks, change the chainrings to the harder alloy when they wear out.